Chapter 62: Together

Percy

So it turned out getting shocked by lightning wasn't pleasant in the least bit, especially when you're in the water. At first, Percy didn't feel anything. He felt normal, after all the water did make him powerful. But then, it came like a blast of electricity (literally), completely covering the water around him, hitting both him and Gaea with a huge shock. He felt burns appear all over, coming too fast to heal in the water.

His vision went dark. The pain erupted throughout his body. Through blurred vision he saw Jason washed up on the beach right next to...Hazel. He gasped despite the protesting from his body. She was soaked in blood.

He pumped his arms, trying to will the water to push him forwards towards the shore, but something was pulling him back in. Something strong. A dark laugh. He felt his stomach drop, something unusual in his home turf. He gulped as he heard the familiar laugh, a laugh he hoped never to hear again.

"Polybotes," He whispered to the Bane of Poseidon. The giant cackled. "I thought you were dead."

"I'm hard to get rid of, like you. Master brought us back with magic." Magic? He laughed again, this time it shook the water around them. Meanwhile, right beside him, Gaea was being relentlessly struck by the gods. He just hoped it was enough.

If those potions Gaea had really were magic, he worried that the gods and goddesses were doing no harm to her, just making her more angry. He had to help them! But a 30-foot tall giant stood in his path, one that just happened to be the bane of his father. Already he felt weaker, just standing in Polybotes presence. The water helped, but not enough. With the giant in it, the water felt contaminated, unhealthy, a strange feeling Percy never felt before. It scared him. His face was sheet white.

"I feel your fear," Polybotes grinned. "I can smell it." Okay, now that was a little bit too creepy for Percy.

"Smell it? All I can smell is your terrible body odor!" Percy taunted him, swallowing down his fear for the moment. He reached for his sword in his pocket, pulling it out and raising it high. Meanwhile, the sea was churning, water turning a sickly green color. The trident in Polybotes hand grew brighter and brighter and Percy grew weaker and weaker. He felt himself losing control of the waters.

Out of the corner of his eye, the gods continued fighting. He knew if he wanted to kill Polybotes (hopefully forever this time) he needed one of them to help. With a burst of energy, Percy leapt at the giant, hoping to at least catch him off guard, but Polybotes simply wacked him with his trident like a baseball connecting to a bat. If he was playing in the world series, that would've been a major homerun.

Think, Percy, think! What would Annabeth do? He found himself asking that question a lot recently. After all, his girlfriend was the master of plans and trickiness. Usually Percy just tried to make them angry my insulting them.

The fight beside him continued on at full speed, blasts coming from every direction. The giant didn't seem too concerned he would get hit, but with every shot near him Percy cringed. At one point, he was sure a few hairs got singed off of the top of his head; but that hit from the trident really dented him, literally! Right in the side of the head. His vision went white at one point, but faded back to normal after he landed farther into the ocean. That's when he realized it.

This fight is a distraction. A distraction to lead him away from Gaea! This wasn't the fight he should be concentrating on. He had to help the gods defeat Gaea. If it took a demigod and a god working together to kill a giant...then it had to take at least that to kill Mother Earth. First, he had to get to the others. So, he did the only logical thing. He ran as fast as possible towards the beach.