Chapter 17: Secrets

Madison's POV

I walked into the school with a smile on my face. Today had already started out great and I didn't think it could go bad.

It was game day, and although it was an away game, the game was close by. The school still had decorations up for the Avery and the boys.

"Xander finally asked me to be his girlfriend." Brandy whispered behind me, scaring the shit out of me.

"That's great! I'm happy for you, he's such a good guy for you." She smiled and shrugged.

"Yeah, I know." She sighed. "Where's Avery?" I looked around and then back at her.

"Yesterday after practice, Gabriel tried to beat her up. I got there sometime after but he'd already done damage." Her mouth dropped and I nodded.

"Seriously? Ugh, I always hated that bastard. How's she doing?" Everyone hates him once I leave him huh?

"Well she's just got a few cuts and bruises on her face and her father said she has bruised ribs." She nodded. "Don't say anything I don't know if Avery wants the boys to know. She wants to play today." Brandy pursed her lips but nodded.

"I hope she doesn't get hurt even more. You should try to stop her." I frowned.

"I'm her girlfriend, not one of her parents. I can't control her or tell her what she can and can't do. I don't want her getting hurt either, but Avery made her decision. I tried convincing her, but she wouldn't budge. I can't do anything about it."

"Okay then." She said shrugging and looking away. I sighed and didn't say anything. I know she didn't agree with me, but I wasn't one to force anyone to do something they didn't want to. On the other hand, I really didn't want Avery to get hurt.

~

I walked into the lunch room and saw Avery sitting there, looking around. I smiled and got my lunch before sitting by her. I kissed her cheek and she smiled and poked my nose. I grinned happily.

"What'd they say?"

"Same as PaPa, I have a slight concussion from him hitting my head against the wall and bruised ribs... they don't want me to play in the game tonight. I told them I would and Dad wanted to come here and talk to coach. I asked him not to. What do you think?"

"Avery, I don't think you should play. Imagine if you got hit and you really couldn't play next week and even the week after that. One week off isn't going to be as bad as getting hurt and having more." She sighed.

"But I'm not going to get hurt." She said tiredly, as if she'd been repeating it all day. Which, I'm sure she had.

"You don't know that." She frowned.

"And you don't know that I will. I already had this conversation with my parents, I not trying to have it with you." I threw my hands up.

"Then why the hell would you ask for my opinion?" I asked her, exasperatedly.

"Cuz I thought you'd be on my side!" She told me, starting to get angry. I sighed and looked down at my food. I just wanted what's better for her in the long run. She wasn't even listening to what I or anyone else was saying. She shook her head and stood up, leaving the cafeteria. I sighed and others began sitting down.

"What's up with her?" Xander asked. I shook my head and stood up, going behind her. I found her in the hallway. Her head rested on a locker and her eyes were closed. I put my hand on her back and I felt her go stiff then relax when she heard me talk.

"I am on your side, I want the best for you Ave. I need you to listen to us, please, I'm not trying to start an argument. I just don't want you hurting." Her head snapped towards me and she stared at me angrily before her eyes softened.