Adopted Ch. 36 Not What It Seems

Rasa took me to the ocean once. I couldn't help thinking how the waves of the sand and waves of the ocean were so similar. Only, one was forced silent and the other was wild in its madness. They clashed together, such a contrast yet a resemblance in how they cried.

It was horrifyingly beautiful. And so horrifyingly sad.

_ _ _

Suzume came early to school these days. She'd come right when the doors were open and only the school faculty were in the halls of the building. Whenever this happened, Temari asked her to open the classroom door for her and set up a few things.

After finishing the tasks her sister gave her, Suzume hastened to her seat and lifted the table top to reveal a letter taped underneath. She pulled it off and unfolded it to read:

Beware the remora.

Suzume pocketed the letter and pulled down the table to its original position. She sat down and rested her hand in the cradle she made with her arms on top of the table and fell asleep. Temari always woke her up before anybody else came in.

The notes have sporadic deliveries and came with sweets most of the time. The letter that came before this one had an attached bar of chocolate and a note telling her the sender was impressed how she was trying her best to get along with the others. Because of this she was so sure the person had to be Temari, but something told her it couldn't be. It was pathetic, but she hoped it wasn't her, because it meant there was someone out there besides Konata and her family that cared.

Other than the chocolate letters, the ones that lacked them were much more foreboding. They've been really informative though. Suzume's avoided a lot of situations due to these letters.

Suzume didn't seek out the writer. If they wanted to tell her who they were it was up to them.

Suzume was awoken by Temari a few minutes before the first student arrived and she spent the rest of the time studying a book about sword techniques as the room filled up with students.

After the usual morning salute, Temari started class.

"We'll begin the day with a getting-to-know-each-other activity," she said with jazz hands.

The class groaned.

"Again, Temari-sensei," somebody bellyached. "That's all we've been doing for a week."

"And we already know each other," another said. "We've known each other since our first year."

"Personally, I think we know too much about each other."

"Shouldn't we be studying for the graduation exam?" Toru said. "It's only a few weeks away."

The class grumbled their agreement and Temari raised a hand to silence them and everyone immediately ceased talking.

"This is important because the graduation exam is coming up." Temari placed her hand on her side and gave them a stern stare. "Whether you like it or not, the people in this class and the other two are the people you'll be growing old with. They're extended family you can hate all you like but they're still family, and you'll be forced to see and work with them for as long as you are a shinobi. This," she did a sweeping gesture across the room, "is all you'll know."

"Ew."

"Anyways, don't worry," Temari smiled, "at where you are now, I have no doubt everybody will pass."

"That's what teachers always say." Shiro looked unimpressed. "Do you really want to take responsibility for that statement if some of us fail?"

"You think I'd just flatter you kids?" Temari sauntered over to the door. "I guess you don't really know me all that well. Which leads me to the activity."