Adopted Ch. 46 Pick Your Poison

In the Koyo territory, on the outskirts of the border was a pitstop town for travelers. The streets were lined with pubs and motels and storefronts with wares displayed and spilling onto the road, most either rusted or dilapidated in a certain way which would usually null their worth. Buildings were boarded up and collapsing, their inhabitants long gone. Dust and sand sullied the air and coated every surface.

Three figures emerged from this dust, their cloaks swelling in the breeze and their head scarves pulled high over their faces. They were heading toward the only place where life still dwelled-- a bar three stories tall with the sign declaring its name hanging from a single hinge, the ink too faded to make out its meaning. A couple of people on the street kept their eyes on them warily and, aware of how noisy it was going to get, quickly shuffled out of the area.

One of the smaller of the three broke away and pulled up a leg and swung it forward, blasting it inward, flying until it fell and slid across the floor. All eyes were drawn to where the figures were standing framed in the now wide doorway.

The kicker lowered their leg again and their companions were just as dumbfounded as the occupants of the bar.

"Was that really necessary?!" the tallest exclaimed. "Can't you walk through a door normally like every other person?!"

"It's too late for that now," the last of the three said, hastily and placating. "Let's get the job done."

"Alright," the tall one acquiesced and turned to the room at large. "We're looking for someone. If you aren't him, we won't have any problems. Just stay where you are while we sweep the area."

"Your authority?" the barkeep asked, going up to them stubbornly.

"Councilman Koyo and the Suna Council," as the tallest said this, all three pulled off their turbans to reveal their forehead protectors and as soon as they did, the room's atmosphere shifted and some of the customers shrunk back.

One particular man reacted severely and dashed deeper into the building. The smallest shinobi went after him in a blur.

Ritsu sighed and pressed a button on his radio, "Target is coming your way with Jackrabbit close on his tail."

"Roger," was the staticy reply.

"Let's hurry and catch up," Ritsu said turning to Akira.

"Wait a minute!" The barkeep stood in their way. "You lot owe me a door!"

"...Ah."

Out of the town and trailing forward deeper into the empty desert was the prey and the predator. Suzume's team was assigned the more uneventful part of the mission and her job was to lead the man into a trap they laid out ahead.

The two teams they were working with this time around was a tracking team who already pulled out having done their function and standing by just in case the others failed and they were needed again.

Suzume saw the signal and stopped her pursuit.

"Raiton: Thunder Spear!"

A strike of lightning charged up the air and came crashing down onto the man. Suzume squinted at the bright flash and it slowly faded away again until the desert was left dull once more.

"Why did we need to be here?" an annoyed voice complained. "I don't think we needed to bring this many people just to recover a deadbeat Genin rogue."

"It's justa be safe, Toru-kun!" responded his teammate.

"All you do is whine and whine and whine and whine..." said the other, the sentence went on and on long enough to feel Toru's agitation grow with each word.