The Monster Inside of Me (Part 6)

Chapter 6

Woop woop chapter six!

Read, vote, comment, and most of all....enjoy =]

Considering that it's my first time camping I think it was going pretty well. After my little scene by the lake Cheveyo thought it best to set up camp in a narrow clearing that was surrounded my tall trees and bushes. Cheveyo made a fire while I collected wood and helped with making the tents and a simple dinner of Campbell's soup and bread.

But while all this it was deadly quiet, except for the occasional glares during dinner that practically screamed "I want to kill you" in their brown depths. Oh well.

Eating my soup I looked up at him. He was wearing a stern expression on his face, as if his mind was a thousand miles away, but he still managed to bring the spoonful of soup to his perked mouth.

His mouth. I stared longingly at his lush and tan lips, full and beautiful.

Stop it! I thought, reprimanding myself for letting my thoughts go in that direction. So instead of staring like an idiot I decided to make small talk to kill the time.

"So Cheveyo" I said extending the O in his name

"How old are you?" I asked innocently curious. Rolling his eyes he swallowed and annoyingly asked

"Are you playing twenty questions?"

"We could, but would you answer?" I said with a grin. Staring cautiously, as if I was going to grow another head he replied with a blunt

"I'm twenty four." He said then took another bite of his bread. Happy with his compliance I asked another question

"So how long have you been in this..." I trailed off, at a loss for words while flailing my hands in the air.

"Pack?" he offered.

"Yea, pack" I said the word as if I was testing it on my tongue. Group scenes weren't one of my strong points. I was always was alone, different from other teenagers, a stray.

"All my life" he replied sharply while I exhaled, he really wasn't a big fan of small talk.

"So what type of name is Cheveyo?" I questioned my dark eyebrow lifted to show my interest in the topic.

"The name Cheveyo means spirit-warrior, given by my mother of a vision she had." He said and looked in the distance, as if recalling an old, faint memory.

"What vision?" I asked interestedly, realizing that I was being terribly nosey, but my curiosity of the stranger in front of me urged me to ask.

"Didn't anyone tell you that curiosity killed the cat?" he retorted with a handsome crooked smile that made my heart beat increase. He should smile more often I thought. But being the usual Dawn, I replied

"Well first of all I'm a wolf, and two satisfaction brought him back" I replied smugly, happy that I knew the other half of the quote. Surprisingly he began laughing a deep throaty laugh that was so contagious I found myself laughing as well.

I was surprised how normal I found laughing. I couldn't remember when I had actually laughed for the heck of it, and yet this quiet stranger brought it out so easily.

"You should laugh more" he said suddenly, then looked nervous. Feeling an odd blush creep to my cheeks I replied

"You should too" and a silence fell upon the clearing as we stared each other in the eyes. But of course he ruined the moment my looking to the already blackened sky.

"It's time" Cheveyo said seriously, all the laughter lines gone from his features.

"Time for what?" I asked confused by sudden change in character.

"Time for the other part of your training, go into the north end of the clearing and phase, meet me here quickly when you're done." He ordered seriously, and then ran to the opposite side of the forest, the night hiding his body.

Walking to the other side of the clearing I began removing my clothes slowly. Closing my eyes I breathed in letting the mist of light hover my body changing my bones, tearing flesh and making me into a wolf.

Walking back to the clearing I saw the fire was put out, leaving behind only a cloud of darkness. Strange, looking around I saw nothing the trees quiet, not a sound. My instincts perked up, usually there was some type of noise from the other forest animals, but as I listened I heard nothing.

The hairs on my back rose, and I made a low menacing growl. About to leave I was suddenly attacked by a large brown wolf that took grabbed my skin with its sharp teeth and threw me far across the clearing.

Landing on the floor with a sick thud, I was almost left unconscious except my other beastly half wouldn't allow it. It tore through my head like a raging animal and it became me, giving me one sole purpose, to kill.

Letting loose a loud howl I ran to my enemy with a red haze covering my vision and attacked full force. My claws, teeth, strength went into the fight with all I had. At first I thought I had the advantage with my rage, but it was obvious my opponent had more defensive skills at blocking my attacks. Oddly though the wolf ran to were the moon lit through the trees and began to phase.

Perfect, I thought viciously. If he was human I could kill him perfectly. But when he phased he turned into Cheveyo.

Cheveyo! I thought my body halt, and the beast snarled for the pause.

"Fight it Dawn" Cheveyo said sternly, the glow of the moon only showing the top of his body.

"You are in control of your own body, not the beast. Fight it, be the one in control." He said sternly. I was so confused, one part of me asking what the hell I was doing while the other wanted me to rip his head off.

"Fight it" he said, compassion dripping in his voice, faith in his eyes.

My head begin to hurt with all the emotions swirling in like a whirlpool. I didn't want to hurt Cheveyo, yet the beast snarled wildly and crazily for the kill.

No! I thought I'm in control! I am I am in control and forced the beast out of my head with a raging howl that left me I knew I had done it. It was gone.

Automatically the white mist covered me and I began sobbing, my head throbbing from the internal battle. A few seconds later I felt a blanket cover me and Cheveyo picked me up and held my limp body in his warm embrace.

For once, I felt human.