Chapter 25

“You’re Paras,” Nole said dubiously.  

By revealing the tattoo, Tom had seized control the situation. The reputation of the Para gang transcended the entire city, so their shock was justified. Two mere parallel lines symbolized the power of their group. This power was so intimidating that it stopped an infuriated Zane dead in his tracks.

“I’m not a threat to you,” Tom reassured, pulling on the glove to obscure the mark.

“So, you know what was in the file?” Nole wasn’t entirely sure how much Tom knew about the situation, but he didn’t have time to beat are the bush.

“Yes.”

“Why didn’t you stop them from taking it?” Nole retorted.

“Listen kid, I was told to stay here and keep an eye on things,” Tom sighed while shifting his gaze between all of them. “You guys really are a sad bunch.”

“Nole,” Valerie murmured, “what file are you guys talking about?”

Before he could reply, Tom cut him off.

“Seems like everyone’s on a different page, so allow me to set things straight.” He sauntered passed them and plopped himself on top of the displaced front desk so that his long legs hung just above the revealed trap door. No one knew how to react to his apparent laid back attitude. “An important file was given to this guy, -” he paused waiting for Nole to input his name.

“Nole,” he obliged, patiently withholding his exasperation.

“The leader of the Paras, Asteria, gave Nole an important file to share with, -”

“Betty,” Nole added.

“And instead, he managed to do the exact opposite. Am I correct in assuming she didn’t see it?”

“She did,” Nole defended quickly, but then added, “after the Chief had her read it in front of him.”

“Ouch,” Tom remarked. “Worst case scenario.”

“So you’re in the Paras?” Suri demanded angrily. “Why did you vandalize the fountain?” It was rare to see Suri angry, so Nole was slightly taken aback by his little sister’s interrogation.

“That wasn’t us,” Tom denied. “It’s a long story.”

“Stop,” Valerie interjected. “What are you talking about? How do you know the Paras Nole?” She stepped away from him unsure of his loyalty.

“Last night when I went looking for Caden, I found him at Central Station, but two Enforcers had me at gunpoint. If it wasn’t for the two Paras that helped me, I would have been arrested, maybe worse,” he informed them. Suri’s eyes lit up at the mention of Caden, but she didn’t dare to interrupt.

“Why did they help you?” Valerie questioned.

“The leader, Asteria, she said that she was a friend of Murphy’s and she wanted his real killer apprehended.”

“A friend of Murphy’s?” Tom chimed in. “They were more like drinking buddies. He had quiet a reputation during his gang days.”

“What did you say?” Nole turned abruptly toward Tom.

“I guess she didn’t go into depth. Murphy and Asteria were pretty close friends. I heard they met when they were both new recruits to the Paras. Murphy passed up on the offer to be the leader of the gang and so Asteria got it,” Tom explained.

“Murphy, a Para?” Nole couldn’t compute the words. The only image he had of Murphy was of him being a kind and generous doctor. He was Nole’s best friend, not some former gangbanger. “There’s no way.”