Chapter 4

The man that held Suri wore a black bandanna like the leader and he proudly displayed his tattoo on his left hand, which Nole only saw because of how the Pent positioned the knife. His other hand covered Suri’s mouth, muffling her cries for help. Where’s Caden? He was supposed to stay with her! Nole met his little sister’s eyes and he held her gaze briefly until the blade blocked their line of vision. Her terror upon seeing the knife almost made Nole lose it. If they touch her... he shook his head. No, I have to stay calm.

“Come out here,” the leader demanded, silencing a petrified Suri.

Nole obeyed, telling himself he had to maintain his rationale. How did this happen? All of this is my fault. He forced himself to avoid meeting Suri’s pleading eyes for fear he may lose his composure; instead maintaining eye contact with the Pent leader.

 “Where’s my brother?” Nole questioned, gritting his teeth to muffle the fear in his voice. Suri’s abductor glanced at the leader, who hesitated.

“Is she not enough?” Suri’s captor spoke up. He pressed the dull side of the knife against her cheek and she tensed up, wailing as the man threatened to cut her. Although he had only used the dull side, Nole could barely hold in his rage as he witnessed the indention the steel made on her porcelain cheek, like a balloon ready to pop.

“Stop!” he roared, causing the man to flinch. The Pent leader grinned.

“So you do care,” he mocked. “It’s alright. We won’t hurt her if you just give us what we want.” Nole relaxed once the man withdrew the blade from her cheek. Where’s Caden? He wanted to inquire about his brother again, but he saw that reasoning with the Pents was futile.

“What do you want?”

“Finally, some cooperation,” scoffed the Pent leader. “It has come to my attention that you have some,” he paused, thinking of the right word, “information that doesn’t involve you.” Nole didn’t react. “Information you would have encountered within the past twelve hours.”

Nole’s worst suspicions were confirmed. They mean from the man I saved, he concluded. If I deny I know anything, they won’t believe me.

“So you want me to tell you what I know?”

“No, we want the evidence of what you know,” explained the Pent leader.

I can fake information, but I can’t fake proof. If only they didn’t have Suri, then I could just take care of them. Nole knew he was pushing the man’s patience, so he didn’t ask any more questions. He clenched his jaw, contemplating his options. My best bet is to lie. They’re convinced I have this proof. I have to negotiate Suri’s release, and then I’ll deal with them.

“The proof is in the shack.” Nole bit his lip, apologizing to Murphy once more. “It’s hidden. Let her go and I’ll show you where.”

He held his breath, awaiting the leader’s reply. To his relief, the Pent looked over to his subordinate and nodded to him. Suri was put down and her mouth was uncovered. “Don’t do anything stupid,” warned the large man. “Or she’ll be the one taking the fall.”

The hushed sniffles and whimpers she let out made Nole shudder. He had done it to her again. “You’ll be showing us where it is,” the Pent Leader corrected, signaling his men to follow. Nole could only nod in agreement. I figured as much. He couldn’t improvise for long. If he went inside the shack, they would corner him easily due to the limited space. Going downstairs would trap him as well, but there was much more space to work with. “Stay out here with the girl,” the Pent leader ordered Suri’s detainer.