Chapter 17

Congratulations to Penstemon for winning the first ever Errand Runners design contest! View the briliant cover in the multimedia section! Great job to everyone who submitted. I was genuinedly blown away by all of the amazing designs. I can't thank you enough for participating. Your lovely work will not go unnoticed :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I knew it. Nole composed himself the best he could, but the fuming anger built up inside him, making his face grow hot. It’s worse than I thought. A lot worse.

“And before you go asking,” Betty continued, “we didn’t see or hear from Taro since the night you were seen carrying him.”

Nole immediately turned to Olivia for confirmation, and her curt nod was enough to solidify Betty’s testimony. Before the conversation began, he wouldn’t have believed any of the stories they were feeding him, but everything checked out – why Zane and Olivia were at Murphy’s shack; their involvement with Taro; even why Betty had offered him the position. What he thought was a cunning keep-your-enemies-closer tactic, was actually a legitimate job. Sure there may have been an incremental ulterior motive with the timing of Betty’s proposal, but for the most part, she had no use for him outside the job. In fact, if anything, Nole had more use for her. He didn’t want to believe it, but maybe she actually wanted to help him.

Why else would she take Suri and me in? Was she the one that told Olivia to help me today too?

“We’re missing something.” Betty breathed out another puff of smoke as she rolled the butt between her thumb and index finger. “Until we know more, we’ll have to hold off on doing anything.”

“Know more?” Nole repeated in frustration. “You may have the luxury of holding off, but I’m a wanted criminal, my best friend’s dead, and my brother is missing!”

“We’re keeping you safe in exchange for you’re temporary guilt, and you can’t change anything about your friend’s death,” Betty spat unsympathetically.

“Even so, I can’t find my brother like this!”

The old woman grimaced at him as she huffed once more. “Your brother.” She shook her head and blowing the smoke outside the open window for a change. “Your brother has been selling you out.”

Taken aback by her response, Nole opened his mouth to reply, but she continued before he could. “Your brother is in Enforcer custody.”

The feelings in the room shifted instantaneously. Although he was baffled, he took the time to notice Olivia’s mutual bewilderment before speaking.

Staring the old woman down, he watched as she leisurely brought the cigarette back up to her mouth, but he snatched her arm before she could bring it to her lips. Squeezing her wrist, he glared at her until she explained herself.

“It’s like I said,” she described, forcibly pulling her arm away from his grasp, “he’s in custody at headquarters.”

“H-how do you-“

“I had a suspicion that your brother was the one releasing your image and information to the Enforcers, so I looked into it while you were out gallivanting about the city.” She flicked the ashes of the butt into the sink before going on. “A block away from the doctor’s shack, one of my contacts claimed to have seen a young boy go off with two Enforcers shortly before your little soiree with the Pents a few days ago.”

“That doesn’t mean it was him,” he denied tentatively, realizing the abrupt change in the conversation. Moments ago, Betty was arguing the same thing about Taro.

“My contact also reported that the boy abandoned a little girl. The description fit your sister to the T.”

A nauseous feeling grew inside Nole when he considered the fact that Caden had indeed abandoned Suri. Not only that, but the possibility that Caden could be the one throwing the suspicion Nole’s way made the nausea come to life.

It would’ve been easy to dismiss Betty’s information. After all, she’d proven herself to be less than trustworthy, but the details fit; the location, the timing, even the description, it all made sense. That alone wouldn’t normally be enough to convince Nole, but something else had been bugging him. The sketch was too good of a resemblance for any gang member to describe, and the way the Chief announced the department’s knowledge of his identity went along with the theory. Nole suspected that the “witness” constantly being referenced was someone he knew. At one point, he must have briefly suspected his brother, but disregarded the notion completely due to its absurdity.

He didn’t want to admit it to himself back then, but the more he thought about it, the more it made sense - Caden was the one who’d identified Nole as Murphy’s murderer.

A sickening feeling sunk through him, making him completely forget the pain in his back. Out of everything that had happened that day – getting attacked by Zane and then the random thug; hurting his back; finding the rooftop in shambles; almost getting killed by the Enforcers, twice; running into Taro – it all felt like nothing. The reality of his brother’s actions, and the aftermath because of those actions, sent Nole into a vertigo-inducing depression.

There was no point in arguing. There was no doubt. It was Caden.

“So what are you saying? That he’s with the Enforcers now?” Olivia asked. Her attention was focused on Nole, as if he were a time bomb on the verge of spontaneous detonation.

“Probably,” Betty shrugged. “He’s safe somewhere at least, and all it took was throwing his brother to the wolves.”

“Betty, don’t-”

“Olivia!” Betty snapped, slamming her palm and long bony digits on the smooth porcelain surface beside the sink. She contained herself after Olivia’s stunned silence, and spoke to Nole in a calmer tone. “Listen kid, there’s no excusing him. At this point, it would be best to come clean to your sister and lay low here until this all gets sorted out.”

Time had frozen for Nole. The entire exchange felt as if things were set in stone. How could he do that? Does he hate me that much? What did you have to gain from going to the Enforcers? Why Caden?

After all of the information sunk in, Nole couldn’t help but feel partly responsible for Caden’s betrayal. I pushed him away. I should have tried harder. It’s my fault.

“I need to go,” he murmured, still in shock.

“Where?” Betty inquired while witnessing Nole’s zombie-like sauntering toward the door.

“I,” the rest of his intent eluded him as he considered the options. It was passed sundown and although he would no longer have the risk of facing Enforcers, the imminent danger of encountering the gangs was still there. He bit his lip as the insecurities clouded his judgment. Does he even want to see me?

Blood seeped into his taste buds after biting his lip too hard. The suspicions carried him further away from his brother, but the metallic-taste of the liquid from his bitten lip reined in his convictions. “I’m going to Central Station. I’m bringing him back.”

“You’re a fool,” Betty sneered.

“Of all people, I expect you to understand.” He continued marching to the entrance, more confidently than moments before. “You wouldn’t sell out that guy, Taro right? He left you all, yet you’re still convinced he’s good. Caden is my brother, and I share that same blind loyalty to him as you do to Taro.”

“I didn’t say your reason was foolish,” Betty replied in exasperation. “What makes you a fool is that you’re acting rashly. Didn’t Valerie just inform you of your condition? I can tell your back is hurt just by looking at you.”

“I don’t care.” He lingered by the doorway, knowing that she couldn’t say anything to change his mind. When he thought about it, she wasn’t even trying, and he couldn’t decide whether it was because she knew he wouldn’t listen, or because she actually agreed with his sentiments. “I’m going alone,” he added, eying Olivia sternly.

Without another word, he turned the corner and headed out of the complex before anyone could stop him.