Chapter 5

Zane’s unnerving gaze got to him almost as much as Suri’s incessant sobbing. The girl that rescued Nole exited the shack, brushing past him in the process.

“You could have comforted her a little,” she muttered to Zane, loud enough for Nole to hear. Zane ignored her words, turning to inspect the men scattered within confines of the shack. Nole heard a loud banging from within the quarters. The trapped Pents were getting restless.

It became painstakingly obvious that the unconscious Pents were Zane’s doing. Even though he had accused him, Zane saved Suri, and had it not been for the assistance, both he and his sister might have been killed. She could have… died… because of me.

“Suri,” Nole consoled, “I’m so sorry.” Her weeping softened noticeably with his words. He loosened his grasp and held her at arm’s length, trying to discern her current feelings for him. He was certain she felt betrayed by his inability to help her. His plan had failed. “Where’s Caden? He was supposed to be watching you.” She sniffled in response as Nole realized he was shifting the blame for his inability to protect Suri on Caden. “Where is he?”

“I-I don’t k-know,” she choked out.

“What?"

The unmistakable sound of Enforcer sirens grew louder from where he kneeled.

“Hey.” A hand rested on Nole’s shoulder, making him flinch violently at the sudden contact and causing the hand to withdraw. He whipped his head and saw the Zane’s companion looking at him earnestly, her dull green eyes meeting his. “We need to go,” she said urgently.

The tone of her voice was soft, yet firm. He dismissed her and turned back to his sister, who was no longer crying, but sniffling. The sirens grew louder with every passing minute and the muffled shouting from within the shack persisted. He squeezed his sister’s shoulders, trying to get her to focus on his words.

“Suri, I need to know where Caden is.”

“H-he said he would be right back,” she answered, the tears flooding her eyes. “He said he wanted to check on something, so I listened. I listened to Caden like you said. And then,” her voice shook. “A-and then those guys came and they told me to listen them or, or…” she trailed off, beginning a new cycle of sobs.

Listening to his eleven year old sister recount the details of her kidnapping renewed his guilt, but he pressed on. He closed his eyes, unable to bear seeing her in such a state. “Where did they take Caden?”

“I don’t know,” was all she managed to get out before the tears streamed down her cheeks anew.

The crying echoed in Nole’s ears, as he imagined where his brother could be. If they kidnapped Suri, what did they do to Caden? His ears rang; not because of the approaching sirens of Enforcers, or the commotion of imprisoned gang members, or the inconsolable weeping of his sister. He couldn’t think, couldn’t decipher what was creating the deafening screeches that reverberated in his head.

“Listen,” the girl began again.

“Shut up!” Nole shouted over the ringing. He glared at her vehemently. “Where’s my brother?” he yelled at her. She met his look of hatred with one of sympathy, which angered him more. He didn’t want her pity. He wanted answers.

As if in a trance, Nole let go of his sister and advanced toward one of the fallen Pents before him. He kneeled beside him and grabbed hold of the man’s jacket lapel, shaking him. “Where is my brother?” he demanded, losing his patience.

The man’s head rolled as he regained consciousness. The Pent’s boney hands clutched Nole’s as he tried to gain control of the situation. “Where did you take my brother?”