Kill The Lights {19}

***Jace’s POV***

                “So what are you boys doing today?” Carol asked, sliding us each a plate of eggs.

                “Going to the lake,” Mitch said, hungrily beginning to eat.

                “Don’t bring alcohol,” Carol said.

                “Wasn’t planning on it,” Mitch said after swallowing a mouthful of eggs.

                “I know you like to bring drinks with you when you go to the lake. I don’t like that. If you get drunk near that lake…” She shook her head and shot a stern look at Mitch. “Don’t do it!”

                “We’re not bringing alcohol. Besides, it’s usually Shane who does that,” Mitch said.

                “Don’t act like you don’t do it too,” she said.

                Mitch shrugged and resumed eating. I laughed and also finished eating my food hungrily.

                When we were done, we got up and went to Mitch’s room. We changed into swim trunks and pulled on tank tops. Mitch tossed two towels and Monsters into a cinch sack, slinging it over his shoulders.

                “Ready to go?” he asked, slipping on flip-flops.

                I nodded and followed him out of his bedroom after we had tossed some money into the sack. Jasper looked up at us curiously as we passed through the living room.

                “Where are you two going?” he asked.

                “Down to the lake for a little,” Mitch said.

                “Alright then. Have fun,” he said, giving us a short wave.

                We waved back and left the house. Mitch took my hand in his and we began to walk towards the lake.

                “It’s a nice day out,” I said.

                “The weather is the lamest topic you could’ve chosen,” he said.

                I rolled my eyes and elbowed him in the ribs. “Shut up. It really is nice out. We’re going to be in the lake. Do you want it to be shitty weather?”

                “We’ve swam in shitty weather before,” he said.

                “True,” I said, laughing.

                “Hey Jace, I think we should spend the night at your house. Give Shane some room to calm down,” Mitch said, glancing at me.

                “We’re fine at your house,” I said, trying to push away thoughts of my mom. “We’ll just stay in your room. Shane is probably trying to avoid us as much as we’re trying to avoid him.”

                “I don’t like us sitting in my room all day. At least at your house you have a pool table to kill some time with. At mine we just lay on my bed listening to music,” he said.

                “Mitch, my mom and I aren’t on the greatest terms,” I mumbled.

                I knew how my mom was. I’d come home and she’d act like everything was fine because she wouldn’t want to scare me away again. But something would happen, and I’d leave anyways. It was how it always went.