Kill The Lights {13}

My eyes cracked open and I rolled over. I stretched as I sat up. My eyes widened as I spotted my phone lying on the floor. I picked it up and quickly checked the messages, feeling like an idiot. I had fallen asleep while texting Mitch!

                From: Mitch

                I don’t know, maybe a giant bird will carry Austin away and feed him to its young. Then we don’t have to deal with him anymore.

                From: Mitch

                Jace, did you fall asleep?

                From: Mitch

                I’ll send you nudes if you text me back in the next 5 minutes.

                From: Mitch

                Time’s up. Guess I’ll just send these nudes to someone else. I think I still have your mom’s number.

                From: Mitch

                And on that note, goodnight Jace. Sleep peacefully while I lie here fully awake wishing you would text me back. Asshole.

                That last text brought a smile to my face. I knew he was being sarcastic in it, but the fact that he had wanted to keep talking to me made me happy. I texted him good morning and crawled out of bed.

                I made my way out to the kitchen and put a bagel in the toaster. I buttered it when it was done and went out to the living room, dropping lazily on the couch and turning on the TV.

                Mom came out a few minutes later. I looked up, my mouth stuffed full of bagel. She grabbed the remote and turned the TV off, sitting in the chair near me.

                “Jace, what’s going on between you and Mitch?” she asked.

                I swallowed down my bagel. “We’re all good again, I promise,” I said. “We fixed everything. I told you; I’m just going to let my feelings for him pass. Mitch is straight.” I itched my nose as I spoke to disguise its twitching.

                Her face fell a little. “Why do you lie to me, Jace?” she asked sadly.

                “I don’t,” I said in surprise. I mean, I did. But how did she know I was lying?

                “I saw you two kissing in the hallway when you were putting the blankets away,” she said.

                Oh. Oops.

                “Uh…” Having nothing to say to that, I stuffed more bagel in my mouth.

                She met my eyes, concern shining in hers. I mentally groaned. Great, I had done it again. Just one more thing for her to worry about.

                “Jace, you don’t have to lie to me. I don’t know what’s going on between you and Mitch. But I’m not going to tell anyone,” she said.

                I swallowed my bagel and realized that I had just eaten the last of it. With nothing else to distract myself with, I sighed.

                “Mom, it’s complicated, okay? I’m figuring it out. Mitch is figuring it out too,” I said.

                “Just…Be carefully, okay? Don’t get yourself hurt,” she said quietly.