Kill The Lights {3}

I squinted up into the sunlight. I looked over and saw that Shane had buried his face into his pillow to escape the sunlight. Next to me, Mitch was lying on his stomach, shielding his phone as he scrolled through it.

                “Shane,” I said, poking him in the arm.

                He grunted out a response and I began to poke him in the arm more. He finally picked his head up to glare at me.

                “You are so annoying,” he growled, shoving me roughly.

                I lost my balanced and fell over on Mitch. Mitch sighed helplessly as his phone tumbled out of his hands.             

                “Jace, get off me,” he said, struggling to get up.

                “Eh, I’m pretty comfy here,” I said, grinning and throwing my weight on him even more to keep him down.

                Mitch struggled against me, but couldn’t get me off. Shane was watching us in amusement, laughing.

                This was our relationship. It was playful and brotherly, not romantic and awkward.

                I rolled over, choking Mitch with my arm. He struggled against me even harder, managing to awkwardly kick me in the knee. I winced but held tough against him.

                “Give up,” I said, nearly losing my grip on him but regaining it quickly. Mitch was a feisty kid.

                “Never!” he said, reaching around and gripping a fistful of my hair. He yanked on it hard, almost causing us to bash our heads together.

                I choked him harder. “Let go of the hair!”

                “No!” he wheezed, his legs flailing, trying to make contact.

                I dug my elbow into his shoulder and he winced. He grit his teeth together as I dug it in harder and tightened his grip on my hair. He reached around with his free hand, trying to dig his nails into my arm to get me to move it away from his shoulder.

                “Too weak!” I taunted.

                “Oh yea?” he managed despite the tight hold I had on his neck. He thrust his elbow up, catching me in the jaw. I yelped and nearly lost my hold on him.

                As he tried to shove himself up, I body-slammed him back to the ground and fought against him, getting me hold back on his neck. He let out a frustrated noise, which was cut off as I choked him once again.

                “Seriously boys?” Carol asked in annoyance as she came outside. “I’ve been watching you wrestle since you started. Jace, stop suffocating my son. You’re going to kill his brain cells and he doesn’t need that.”

                “I want to see him get out by himself,” I said, smirking down at Mitch.

                “He can’t,” Shane said, snickering.

                Carol and Shane watched us as we struggled for a few more minutes. I finally took pity on Mitch and rolled off of him.

                He spun around and punched me in the face, sending me tumbling over. I blinked up at him before laughing.

                “That was a good punch,” I said, rubbing my smarting cheek.