Kill The Lights {9}

I froze and Mitch stopped walking, that same crooked smile staying on his face. His pale blue eyes were lit up in amusement.

                “So I was right?” he said.

                “No,” I said, proud that my voice had come out steady. “What the hell would give you that idea?”

                “Shane’s dare,” he said. “You weren’t just making out with me the way you would on a dare. You were making out with me like you wanted to do it more often. Not that I can blame you.” His smile turned into a playful grin.

                “I don’t like you Mitch,” I said, rolling my eyes.

                “Your nose twitches when you lie, otherwise I might be convinced,” he said.

                “I don’t like you like that,” I insisted, feeling my nose twitch a little. Dammit.

                “Jace, yes you do. It’s why you’ve been acting so weird lately,” he said. “Especially around me. Just admit it. There’s no point in lying, especially when you give your own lies away so easily.”

                “Shut up,” I grumbled, dropping my gaze in embarrassment. “I’d rather just be friends with you. I don’t want things to get weird. Whatever my feelings are, they’ll pass.”

                “I always thought you would wind up with a crush on Shane,” he said thoughtfully. “I never thought it would be me.”

                “Oh god. I could never like Shane,” I said in horror. “He’s too similar to me for that. It’d be like dating myself. I’d kill him in less than an hour.”

                Mitch shrugged. “I don’t blame you.”

                “So…can we just pretend that this never happened, and not be awkward around each other?” I said hopefully.

                “Well I’m not going to be awkward around you whether it happened or not,” Mitch said. “You should know that by now.”

                “It just kind of happened,” I admitted, running a hand through my hair.

                “Yea, I get that, Jace. You don’t control who you have feelings for,” he said with a nod.

                “Awesome. So what do you want to do when we get back to your house?” I asked.

                “Trying to change the subject?” he asked, glancing at me.

                “What?” I said in confusion. “No. We said we weren’t going to be awkward about it.”

                “But that doesn’t mean we’re not going to talk about it,” he said.

                I rolled my eyes. “Stop it, Mitch. You’re straight, and I’m gay, and I’m in college, and you’re going to be a senior in high school. Obviously this conversation isn’t going anywhere.”

                “It could be going places,” he said.

                “Like where?” I asked.

                “Like my bedroom.”

                I stared at him and narrowed my eyes. “Stop it. That’s not funny.”