Chapter Fourteen

I could hear his pounding footsteps as they neared my bedroom door. Thankfully I had made it to my room and swiftly shut and locked it behind me. Leaning against the door I could feel the door frame shake with each foot fall.

"Juliet, open the door!" he banged on the door shaking it ferociously.

"Leave me alone!" I hollered back, tears threatening to spill out at any moment.

I still had no idea what had happened. Hell broke loose and then nothing. Everything was a blank. All I could see were those haunting eyes from my dreams staring back at me with such calm yet hugry expression that I could barely bare to blink to keep the image out of my mind’s eye.

"Open the damn door!" he barked, hitting the door so hard I could feel the hinges slowly loosen up. Any minute was going to gain entrance to my room and there was nothing I could do about it.

But then a thought occurred to me as my eyes drifted over my room. The window was my only option. Running over to it I rested my hands on the window seal as I glanced back at the door that was suposed to protect me from fires and other dangerous things but couldn't protect me from a damn werewolf.

As he banged on last time the door all but swung open. One more blow and the door waould give away completely.

I pushed the window open with all my might and swung my legs over the ledge. Instantly getting sick over the distance it was to the ground.

"Second story. Second story." I mumbled over and over as I took baby steps over the roof.

The next thing I heard was my door hitting the far wall of my room, and then his voice, "Juliet, get your ass back in this house."

I turned to look into his furious eyes for just an instant when my footing slipped and I started to fall. My only option was to grab hold of the rain duct and pray it could hold my weight as I stared into his eyes. The eyes that have been lying to me this entire time.

"Jewels, take my hand," his voice was no longer furious but laced with fear and concern.

But as he reached out for me, my only reflex was to jerk away from him and fall to the ground below.

*******

Okay, I'm getting ahead of myself. I think I'll start the day before, when things were seemingly good between me and Ryan before the lies threatened to tear us apart. Before everything actually did.

“Juliet, do you understand?”

I looked up into Ryan’s as I tried to keep a straight face and not squirm under his gaze.  They were bringing me along only for safety. They wanted to be sure that everyone was there that day so they didn’t leave any stone unturned. If I were to be else where no doubt Leo would send someone after me.

I of course had another plan. I hated lying to him; it made me feel sick and just an all-around terrible person. Here I was putting my life on the line and more than likely he would kill me himself if he knew.

So I simply nodded not trusting myself to talk.

It was nearing sundown and I instantly felt the difference in the air. Leo was close and so was the end.

I could feel all the other wolves as they surrounded us. As they came into the clearing I instantly locked eyes with Leo as he was the first to submerge. My stomach did a back flip at the sight of all the wolves. They weren’t as big or scary looking as our pack but they outnumbered us by a long shot.

They had about fifteen to our seven.  It seemed to be going in slow motion as they all submerged. I was getting dizzy at the thought of what was to come. Were any of my people going to get hurt? Killed? They weren’t just doing this for me. I knew that. They were doing it for their fallen Alpha and their current Alpha. The Alpha’s mate was just extra.