Chapter Thirteen

For the entire weekend after Jesse ruled Megs out as a threat, Ryan lectured me on who I can and cannot trust. Wolves being at the top of the list.

Every now and then he's caress my bruised face. He knew that Megs had to have something to do with it but I wasn't giving it up. She was now a friend and I wasn't going to give him even more reason not to trust her.

Here I was finally returning back to school. Suzie had blown up my phone all weekend but I screened her calls. I did not feel like trying to explain something that was so clearly a lie.

So, I took the whole weekend to come up with a good enough lie. But I couldn't come up with one. There was no excuse for not picking up my phone. Or going to school.

As I walked into school along side Ryan, I looked around expecting Suzie to jump on me at any given moment. But she wasn't anywhere in sight.

Ryan left me at my locker and I again scanned the area for her. Maybe she was in class already. Grabbing my things from my locker I headed that way.

"Small world," said a familiar female voice.

I turned to see Megs walking up behind me to the same classroom door, "Megs? What are you doing here?"

She laughed as if it were obvious, "I'm only fifteen. A girl has to go to school. What better place then with my new BFF forever."

I laughed at her mistake, "The forever is already in the BFF. Best friend forever? Get it?"

She returned the laugh but this time it was more of an embarrassed laugh, "My bad. I'm used to be around boys. They don't talk like that."

I nodded in understanding and we both walked into the classroom

"How can you be in the same class as me?" I asked as we sat down.

"Oh, advanced placement. I'm smarter then I look," she eyed me as I was about to say a smart ass remark. "Say nothing," she said as she shoved her finger at my face.

I feigned innocence as Ryan walked in the room. He instantly locked eyes on us and frowned. I readied myself as he approached.

"You remember Ryan, right Megs?"

"How could I not?" she smile up at him. "It's nice to see you again Alpha King."

A growl could barely be heard, but it was there. Luckily there wasn't many students in the room yet to overhear her use of Alpha.

"Ryan, sit," I gestured toward the seat in from of me.

He looked at me with anger induced eyes, that melted away as he looked into mine. He grumbled as he sat down. Not looking my way the rest of the hour.

"Is he always that moody?" Megs asked on the way to lunch.

I was barely paying attention as I was still on the look out for Suzie.

"Juliet?"

"Huh? Oh, What?" I said as I turned to look her in the face."Oh, yea. It comes with being a wolf I guess."

"Not always. My bother was pretty mellow. He didn't bare his teeth unless absolutely necessary," I could tell her mind wandered to memories of her brother.

"Megs I'm glad you have good memories of your brother. But that is just how Ryan is, how he has always been. He's very protective."

We had to eat lunch at school, because Ryan forbid me from leaving campus with her on my own. He was out with his pack trying to come up with a game plan.

When classes were over and we were walking out of the building Megs turned to me, "It's time."

"Time for what?"

She eyed me with such intensity, "Your training."

I nodded knowing that are plan had to go into motion at some point. Why not while  Ryan is busy?

We waited until there was barely anyone left on campus and ran out to the back woods where I had seen Leo the first time.

"Okay, she said as we stopped int he clearing. "This is where is all started and its going to be where it ends. But you, you wont be here. Follow me."

She started running threw the woods. I kept up with her just barely as we came up to a stream. "This is where you will be,"  she said barely out of breath. I on the other hand was extremely out of breath. "You lasted longer then I expected. You just ran two miles, you know that?"

I was bent over with my hands on my knees, "Ha,  no shit?"

She laughed, "Leo's men will be looking for you around here. This way they wont be around him and Ryan. So there is no unfair fighting."

I nodded my understanding, but a little frightened all the same.

We were on our way back to the front of the school when my phone went off, "Where are you?"

Damn him, why couldn't he text like a normal teenager?

"Just leaving the school," I huffed, still a little out of breath.

"Why do you sound so out of breath?"

Damn, "I ran a little. Got a problem with that? Want me to get fat?"

I heard him laugh on the other end, he had pulled the phone away as he did. "If you say so. Meet me at my house and leave the stray behind."

I rolled my eyes as I watched Megs walk away in the opposite direction waving as she did.

"Ryan, I don't have a ride. Suzie never came to school remember?"

He grumbled and I heard his engine rev, "Then run."

"Ha, ha, ha."

"I'll be there in five," the last thing I heard was the rev of his engine.

Back at his house I just sat around as they recited the plan. Megs was right, they planned it at the clearing in the woods. The more I thought about it the more scared I was. For his life. For mine. What if the plan fell threw? What Megs also got hurt because of  something I did?

But I knew I had to do this. Too many lives were at stake. My life to save a dozen others was a risk I was willing to take. Ryan would do the same for me. Jeremy did that very thing for him. It was only natural.

I just hope its not all in vain.