Chapter Five

I stayed up all night thinking about that kiss, about what it could mean, and what it doesn’t.  I know it was orchestrated to distract Suzie from the topic that had been at hand, once she interrupted, but I was completely torn on how to feel or even think about it.

My head and heart were battling it out. My head was telling me that he was an idiot eight years ago and he was even more so now. My heart on the other hand was screaming out for him, and I mean screaming. I felt it jump in my chest, every time I thought about him, and the kiss. My head was yelling at my heart for being such a baby, that I should just grow a back born and not let him walk all over me.

And then my heart would argue back that his lips could walk all over me if they wanted. And then I would side with my head, because, that just made me sound slutty.

I finally fell asleep around four in the morning, only to be abruptly awoken by a sharp noise coming from down stairs.

  Just as I was starting to get up, I see a blur and the next thing I know Suzie’s hand is on my stomach and she is sitting up. Long story short, ouch! I let out a loud yelp as the pain from her weight pressing in on my abdomen, but she didn’t seem to notice.

I try to yell out ‘Suzie’ but it doesn’t make it past my lips, instead a sharp breathe escapes in the form of a squeak.

Tears were starting to form in the corner of my eyes as she leaned into it more, trying to look out of my bedroom door, clearly not noticing were her hand landed. Only when black spots started covering my eyesight did I choose to take action. The action of taking all the strength I could muster and shove her as hard as I could off of me, concluding with her falling off her side of the bed with a great thud. I started laughing immediately which considering that I could barely breath a minute ago was hard to do. So in between fits of laughter I needed to take in sharp intake of breath before resolving in another fit.

She sat up and grabbed hold of the mattress trying to pull herself up using my bed spread. Her hair had fallen forward concealing her face. So while pulling herself up, she was also trying to move her hair out of her face.  

Trying to shove her hair to the side she says, “What the hell, Jewels?”

I try to calm myself to speak but every time I try to explain the laughter returns just at the thought of the mishap. She lets out one final frustrated breath as she pulls herself up from the floor.

“Not cool, Jewels.  Not cool.”

Finally my laughter had halted to giggles, “I’m sorry, you were leaning on my stomach,” I pause for a second trying to catch my breath and stop from laughing again, “I couldn’t talk, so I did what any oxygen loving human would do,” I ended it by shoving her off the bed again and cracking up again.

“Juliet that—,” her rant was cut short by another sharp noise coming from the kitchen. “What was that?”

I could tell from the look on her face that she was thinking back to last night when I answered to a sound coming from the back yard and it turned out to be a mangy mutt. Only she didn’t know about the mutt part, only the extremely hot guy, with even hotter lips.

“Suzie, it is not Ry—,” my defense was cut short by the smoke detectors going off.

'

Suzie and I both scrambled to get out—at the same time, resulting in us being stuck between the door jam. Giving her a small shove backwards I ran down the stairs with speed agility. By the time I made it to the kitchen door way two things were evident. One; Aaron was awake, two; the kitchen was on fire!

“I was just trying to make an egg!” Aaron cried out, tears were streaming down his cheeks, his eyes wide with fear.

Fortunately the flame was secluded to just the pan on the stove. So I ran over to the stove and crabbed a pot holder trying to grab hold of the pan, so I could throw it in the sink, but the flame hit my arm causing me to drop it to the ground.