Honk Kong Courtship

Cosmo held open the door to the restaurant he’d chosen for his and Sarah’s night out. Their first official date had occurred during Cosmo’s first extended stay in Hong Kong. This evening marked the third month of his second visit.

Neatly stenciled across the glass door, the establishment’s name read, THAI DELIGHT, all in caps. The location had been what sold him, not the name.

The sixth-floor restaurant sat within sight of Victoria Harbor and overlooked the Expo Promenade. He’d decided the restaurant had to be Thai, based on the fact they first met in Bangkok. THAI DELIGHT had been the only Thai restaurant on Hong Kong Island with a view and even remotely close to his price range.

They continued their friendly yet awkward discourse while waiting to be shown to their table. Finally Sarah burst out. “When were you planning on telling me how the TV spot went today?”

Cosmo grinned. He’d avoided the hot topic of the day in hopes of achieving such an outburst. “Oh, that? I can hardly remember.”

She punched him in the arm.

He didn’t bother pretending it hurt. She knew better. The hostess returned to show them to a relatively isolated table pushed against a window that spanned an entire wall of the restaurant.

Cosmo pulled Sarah’s chair out, scooted her in, took his own seat and promptly spread the menu in front of his face.

Sarah plucked it from his hands.

“I was reading that.”

“The wine list?”

Cosmo glanced again at the menu he had picked up. “The prices are outrageous. I don’t know how people afford to both drink and eat.”

“Good thing neither of us drink.” Sarah glared at him.

Finally Cosmo cracked. “Okay, I’ll talk. Why don’t you at least look at the menu. I’m starving.”

“No small animals this time.”

“Unless it’s a chicken.”

Sarah conceded. “Chicken is fine. Although I’m sorta in the mood for tofu.”

Cosmo twitched, exaggerating his disgust.

“Just tell me about the interview. What did they ask about? Is it going to be on the news tonight?” She pretended to look at the menu while waiting for his response.

As Cosmo watched her watching him, he relived his disbelief over how the interview at the television station had gone. “It really couldn’t have gone any better. I’m still surprised how much the people here are shocked by the association of Christianity and martial arts. They kept returning to my religious beliefs, which kept giving me chances to share the Gospel.”

Sarah gave up the pretense of looking at the menu. “You shared the whole Gospel? And they filmed it?”

“Probably three different times. I’m not sure they even recognized what I was saying.” Cosmo shrugged. “It should be great exposure for the program. I bet we get a dozen new recruits by this weekend.”

“You don’t think they’ll be turned off?” Sarah asked.

“I bet they’ll be even more curious.”

The waiter began his approach.

Sarah buried her face in the menu.

The waiter retreated to give them more time.

Cosmo took the opportunity to browse his own menu. Forget tofu. He was in the mood for beef curry. Soon the waiter returned, and Cosmo ordered for both of them. No tofu.

They enjoyed a comfortable meal and easy conversation that roamed from topics of sports ministry to the current relationship between Hong Kong and China. Before the waiter could return to ask about dessert, something Cosmo knew Sarah would decline, Cosmo worked himself up for his endgame.

Their ministry partnership so far had been based on directness. Their friendship naturally flowed out of their shared passion for the ministry. In Cosmo’s mind, anything less than a lifetime commitment to explore their passion together seemed ridiculous.

Their eventual marriage was a foregone conclusion. Tonight was the night to make their intentions official. Cosmo spoke suddenly. “I have given it many hours of thought and prayer.”

Sarah returned her gaze from the glittering lights of Victoria Harbor to the excited look on Cosmo’s face.

“Even though we have not known each other long, I know I love you,” he said.

The corners of Sarah’s mouth turned upward, stopping short of a full smile. She blinked then opened her mouth as if to speak. No response came.

Cosmo continued. “God told me I am supposed to marry you.”

The hint of a smile on Sarah’s face disappeared, her mouth still slightly open.

During the awkward silence, the waiter swept past the table and deposited the check. He didn’t ask about dessert.

Cosmo slipped enough cash into the folder and nudged it to the edge of the table. He looked up at Sarah and smiled. “What do you think?”

“Um.” She finally closed her mouth and swallowed. “Well, God hasn’t told me I’m supposed to marry you.”

Cosmo frowned.

Sarah continued. “So, I guess I’ll pray about it and get back to you.”

Cosmo nodded. Perhaps he had gotten in front of the matter again. He thought he understood Sarah, but it was possible he moved too quickly for people as well as God. “Sounds good.”

Cosmo’s father had long preached the value of humility. Intentionally or not, Sarah now emphasized patience. One thing Cosmo knew for sure, Sarah was worth the time and effort. Even if he had to burn a trail between Delhi and Hong Kong, he’d convince her to share their future.

Seven trips and over three years later, Cosmo would finally succeed.