I'll Burn You Down

The three friends were an hour late by the time Cosmo parked the van in the village chief’s personal drive. The martial arts team and the van driver were waiting in the courtyard. Cosmo jumped out of the driver’s seat and directed the team toward the front door of the chief’s house instead of the van.

Kachui remained in the van with his head in his hands, until he eventually decided to join the rest.

Before the team had a chance to question Cosmo’s lead, he had knocked on the door. As it opened, everyone fell quiet.

“Purpose?” A big man in a suit with a radio clipped to his belt blocked their entrance.

Cosmo smiled. “My team and I would like to personally thank the chief for allowing us to use his fine courtyard for today’s event.”

“I’ll pass along your thanks.” Nearly imperceptibly, the man bowed and moved to close the door.

Cosmo advanced another step, still smiling. “We’ve prepared a personal demonstration for the chief and elders out of gratitude.”

The guard frowned. “Do you have an appointment?”

“Of course.” Cosmo lied.

The guard inched a hand toward his radio, testing Cosmo’s response. When no one on the martial arts team budged, he held the radio up to his mouth and announced them. After a pause of several seconds the word came back to show the team to the conference room.

The guard replaced the radio on his belt, puffed his chest and stood aside. “The chief will meet you shortly. This way.” Then, as an afterthought, “Of course, no weapons are allowed.”

“Certainly. The show swords won’t be necessary.” Cosmo bowed and led the entire fifteen-member team inside. Only the driver remained in the courtyard.

When they reached what the guard had called the conference room, no one on the team bothered asking Cosmo what was up. The ones who’d been around had figured it out on their own. The rest knew enough to keep quiet and pay attention.

Sparsely furnished with a handful of chairs and potted plants, the room felt like a dormitory study lounge. After several minutes of waiting, Cosmo suspected the chief might be using the time to gather the militants from across the street. Gather an army, it wouldn’t change things. Everyone has their role in the Kingdom. Living on borrowed time and a pocket full of second chances, this role was Cosmo’s.

When the door opened again, the guard from the front door entered first. Following him, a handful of spiffed up militants lined both sides of the entrance and stood with their hands crossed behind their backs. Finally, the chief strode through the door. Eighty plus years had withered his frame, but he stood proudly until Cosmo initiated a bow.

“Honorable chief, thank you for accommodating me and my team.”

“You put on quite a show today. A quality performance. I appreciate the emphasis on hard work and charity. Please,” the chief motioned toward two chairs turned partially toward each other. “I would offer everyone a seat, but I’m afraid I do not have enough.”

“You are most gracious.” Cosmo sat after the chief had seated himself. “But my team would be unable to perform properly from a seated position.” Cosmo grinned.

“Indeed. My guard mentioned a private performance?”

“More of a request, truthfully.”

“Oh?” The chief raised a brow. “Please, you are honored guests.”

“Thank you.” Cosmo leaned forward, his hands clasped together, his elbows on his knees. “I’ve recently met with a man of great character and tender heart who lives under your protection.”

The chief waited patiently for Cosmo to continue.

“Pastor Anil. Do you know him?”

The chief made an act of searching his thoughts. “His name is familiar. A Christian, is he not?”

“He is.” Cosmo nodded. “Of great spiritual vision and power. Sadly, it has come to my attention that Pastor Anil’s person, his family and his flock have come under assault from unscrupulous Hindu militants—a renegade lot, I’m sure.”

“Unfortunate.” The chief pursed his lips.

“While I’m sure you and the elders will do your best to safeguard every member of your village, I am here today to vow my solidarity in that effort.”

The chief’s eyes grew icy. “Mr. Zimik is it?”

Cosmo nodded.

“While I thank you for your concern, I assure you, me and my people are more than up to the task.”

“I’ve no doubt.” Cosmo stood.

The militants along the wall visibly stiffened.

Cosmo’s team had gradually sifted into the empty spaces between him and the militants. Now they stood as a single menacing entity.

Cosmo continued in a gentle voice. “Let me be perfectly clear. Whatever your task, me and mine will rise above it. Pastor Anil is a father and a brother, as are anyone who shares kinship in Christ. They are under our protection.”

Cosmo scanned the faces of the militants and the guard before returning his gaze to the chief. Creases of anger and fear crinkled around the old man’s eyes. Cosmo continued. “We do not practice intimidation, because we do not need to. I do not threaten violence, because I do not want to. But violence against my family will not be overlooked.”

Briefly, Cosmo remembered Jesus’ sermon to turn the other cheek. His father’s teaching on the passage echoed in Cosmo’s mind. His interpretation differed slightly.

“Burn my village, I’ll burn yours.” Cosmo bowed while gesturing to his team. “Thank you for your hospitality.” Before the guard or militants had time to receive orders or think twice, Cosmo and his team had exited through the chief’s front door.

It was past dinner by the time the van flowed into traffic on the main thoroughfare leading north into Gurgaon. For the majority of the team, the tension had dissolved the moment they exited the chief’s house and began loading the van.

Kachui remained tense until the van pulled away. Cosmo still pondered whether he’d done the right thing. He thought again of King David’s encounter with Goliath—the story his father had shared with him several years earlier. Routinely, Cosmo’s thoughts returned there.

Goliath had insulted the entire nation of Israel. He had spoken against God. David had been the only one unwilling to tolerate the offense. Wasn’t this the same thing? Then again, if David’s response had indeed been spiritual, rather than martial—Cosmo wasn’t sure he could say the same thing about his own actions.

Kumar’s rumbling stomach interrupted Cosmo’s ramblings. He snapped out of his trance.

Kumar slapped his stomach. “I sure could go for some dinner.”

Cosmo nodded. “Give the driver the directions.”

Kumar’s eyes widened. “You’re going to love this place. They make this khubz stuffed with masala. To kill for.”

Cosmo frowned. “Fifty rupee limit.”

“No problem. The prices are as good as the flavor.” Kumar leaned forward to talk into the driver’s ear.

Cosmo dug a hand into his pocket and rustled the wad of money there. The bills reminded him of the conversion cards he’d handed over to Anil, along with the hundreds more they would collect tomorrow. The work was happening, and it would continue to happen. That was the important thing.