Teaching in the Temple

Shamil wrote the words on the blackboard as Cosmo recited a short passage from the Gospel According to John. At Cosmo’s insistence, the partners had agreed to use Biblical texts in their English lessons to the Dalits.

Cosmo tripped over the enshrouded Kali statue as he paced. It had been Shamil’s idea to repair the derelict Hindu temple for their classroom. The temple had been abandoned for many years, but the ceiling and walls remained intact. Centrally located, accessible and spacious, the temple worked well—except for the one annoyance.

The glaring image of Kali with her tongue stuck out and numerous arms flailing had been a distraction from the start. For Cosmo at least. The Dalits barely noticed the eight-armed goddess of destruction. Cosmo thought it ugly at best. Within days, he’d covered it with a sheet. Since then he had bumped into the thing no less than once a week.

Putting the statue out of his thoughts, Cosmo checked on the work of the two youngest students in his and Shamil’s makeshift English institute for Dalits. Ages five and six, Sanjay and Rajiv were brothers. Their parents attended the classes as well. As usual, the boys learned at a quicker pace than their parents.

“Very good.” Cosmo waited for the boys’ parents to focus on him as well. He spoke to Sanjay, the eldest son. “Now, can you show me the verb?”

Sanjay identified it correctly without hesitation.

“And the subject?”

Again, Sanjay nailed it.

“Rajiv,” Cosmo turned to the younger son, “I saved the hardest for you—the predicate.”

Rajiv underlined the appropriate part of the sentence.

Cosmo smiled. “The two of you will be helping your parents speak fluent English before you know it.”

“Thank you, teacher.” The boys bowed their heads.

Cosmo glanced at their parents who also nodded their thanks.

Everyone who attended the classes contributed their full effort and gratitude. As far as Cosmo knew, no one had ever offered the Dalits an opportunity like this—an opportunity to be on the same footing as everyone else.

Cosmo dedicated most of his time to helping Mark minister to wealthy Indian students on the various campuses around Delhi. He also formed a football team and a martial arts club for the purposes of sharing the Gospel. Sometimes the teams traveled outside the city to perform demonstrations like the impromptu one in the Himalayas over a year earlier.

During those experiences, and experience like this—teaching English to Dalits—Cosmo found fulfillment. While campus ministry was less fulfilling, Cosmo didn’t find it difficult. Quite the opposite. Mark and his supervisors seemed to think Cosmo the most effective among their staff.

He tried to explain to the leaders, his effectiveness was simply due to boldness. Rather than pampering the elite students, he oftentimes reviled them. He challenged them and never tolerated their pathetic excuses.

As Cosmo strode through the middle of the English class, he clanked his hip against the statue of Kali and nearly swore out loud. In a huff, he yanked the statue off its pedestal and lugged it into the corner of the room.

When he had finished, he realized most of the students were watching him wide-eyed. Quickly they lowered their heads or looked away.

Shamil waited a moment before drawing Cosmo aside. “What are you doing?”

“I can’t stand that stupid thing being in the way all the time.”

“You realize most of our students are Hindu, right?”

“What’s the big deal. This place isn’t a temple anymore. It’s a classroom.”

Shamil shook his head. “I let you cover it with a sheet at the risk of offending people. Now this?”

Cosmo stared at his partner without expression.

“You just put the goddess of destruction on her back in the corner. You don’t find that the least bit blasphemous?”

Cosmo shrugged. “Why should I? I’m not Hindu.”

Shamil stammered, unable to come up with a response. “Fine. If there’s no objections from the students, we’ll leave her there.”

“No one’s going to object.”

“Only because they’re scared of you.” Shamil fired back, raising his voice a bit too loudly. He regained his composure and continued. “One of these days, you’re going to run into some people who aren’t afraid of you.”

Cosmo nodded, a dumb grin on his face. “It does happen from time to time.”

“Just be glad you’ve got enough beneficial qualities to make up for your annoying ones.”

“Why Shamil,” Cosmo feigned shock, “that might be the first time anyone has ever admitted that.”

Shamil rolled his eyes. “Don’t let it go to your head. Just get back to teaching.”

“Will do.” Cosmo saluted before strutting to the middle of the room, where a nice big opening gave him plenty of room to pace without concern of goddess related pokings.