Chapter one

People always said that one day this world would end, that the devil would soon have no more room for his people and would leave them on earth; only thing was that they were dead and walking, eating the living like what you seen on movies...only problem is that it’s happening now. When the year 2020 came I thought it would be like any other year, but it wasn’t. It was filled with horror and death...a lot of death, families dying kids getting killed, but they wouldn't stay dead and only a handful of people from all around the world fought for their lives while others just died, but none of them stayed dead instead within hours or minutes they would come back to life only as walkers, or better known as zombies.

    To me it was just another day, but while I was in school a chemical was being release into the air that would soon infect the living people on this planet. I sat in class as our teacher talked about the world war two and all that had happen. I sat in the same spot like always lying my head on the desk to look out the window while time passed, texting my friend who was in the other building. These past few days had been filled with panic all connected to the new flu that was going around, but I hardly thought anything of it. It was about 9:30 a.m. when I noticed some of the students outside the class room running around, “What’s going on?” my friend James asked as the teacher stepped out to take a look. It hadn’t been long till a scream came from outside alerting us all. As we all got up to see what was happening I found myself staring death in its face. We crowded around the window watching as some of the teachers walking towards the gates where a man stood with blood coming out of his mouth, and his eyes grey as the ground they walked on. As we stood there you could feel the atmosphere growing with fear.

    We were all stupid to just stand here and watch them get closer to the danger. It had felt like a movie and I still felt like I knew nothing of what was going on. The anticipation grew in me as our teacher was the first one to the gate, “Open one of the windows!” A student called out. James suddenly opened the window next to us allowing us to listen in on what she was saying, “Sir, this is school property I can’t let you in!” She rose her voice as he moaned, “Sir, please leave your scaring the students,” The teacher next to her called out, “I don’t underst….”She screamed as he pulled back on her shirt yanking her back towards him, “Someone help her!” A student walking towards them called out, “Get back inside!” The rest of them yelled as they ran back. She laid there on the ground as blood spilled from her neck onto the ground and into the man’s mouth, “What the hell!” James said as we all backed away. I stood there still watching, “Wait!” I called them back as she started to get back up, “She’s okay guys!” I yelled as everyone ran towards me, “Wait,” Cassandra said as she ran towards another teacher jumping on him, “Oh god,” I cried as she bit him and moved on to the next. Just like that one after another the ones bitten got up and attacked everyone else.

      One by one the teachers that were dead came back and started heading towards our school. I stood there watching till someone had called my name "Katherine!" I saw Sean and Kelly running to me, "Katherine, Sean and I are going to leave before things get worse. We wanted you to come with us,” Kelly little voice said cheerfully, I looked back outside watching people dying left and right, but they didn’t know things are getting worse with each passing second. Within seconds this school would be run down. I looked at how all the stuff I once took for granted is now gone and how the people I knew were gone.  I saw death everywhere, but we did have to leave before the teachers got within the school. I looked at Kelly and her sweet little smile, I wasn’t sure how we would leave, but I knew we would find a way.

    "Kelly,” I smiled as I kneeled down and smiled at her, “I need you to be a strong little girl for me and help us get out of here," I said looking at Kelly trying not to make her anymore afraid as she already was, but I saw the way they looked at me. We had to or else we would soon be like them. As we ran out of the class room we heard screams as they came from every direction, at this time the school seemed like a maze as we ran down every hall passing the screaming students and also the dead. In shock I could feel myself losing all udder control of my sanity. Then it popped up in my head what about the rest of the world what about our family and friends the people we love what was happening outside of here, was it even safe to leave? The thought ran through my head as we ran only in time we came to a stop. I looked at the exit door trapped by the dead blocking the only way out. I looked at both Sean and Kelly, "Kat, what are they?" Kelly asked me as I saw tears running down her cheek. I closed my eyes and looked back at the door lost in hope.

     I stood there getting ready for what was about to happen, there was no way we could make out of here with no guns or anything. As Sean and Kelly stood side by side I saw out of the corner of my eye as Sean ran to another door and opened it, “You guys this way!” I looked back and grabbed Kelly pulling her with me as the dead followed us. Right when we made it out Sean shut the door making it, but what was in front of us was nothing anyone could ever be ready for. I looked at Sean then Kelly; I wouldn’t let them die nor could we just give up now.

    “We have to run,” I said slowly as Sean looked at me with eyes big as saucers, “We have to run it’s the only way out of here. You both have to run and not look back, don’t stop for anyone don’t even take a second to stop keeping going till you reach the gate, and will follow you both,” Sean shook his head holding Kelly closer to him, “Sean if you want Kelly safe you will do this, unless you want to stand here all day and wait,” I said looking at him, “Fine, but you better follow us Katherine I already know you,” I nodded my head but before Sean took off he gave me a hug then grabbed his little sitter and ran off into the crowd of blood and death.

   I looked around seeing how everything changed within the few hours I was in school, how the world I lived in was once a place I knew but was now turning to ash. As I started to run I thought of my family yet again thinking about my little brother. He was only 5 years old I didn’t want to think of me seeing him once we got of here seeing him as one of them. I wanted him to be at home waiting for me running up to me and yelling, "Sissy!" his little arms wrapping around me, no I couldn’t think of him dead I wouldn’t.

     As I started to run I looked behind me and saw more students alive, but as I kept watch they suddenly got thrown to the ground. I wanted to help them as they screamed in pain, but I had my own life to save. I saw Sean and Kelly running like I told them to till shock took over me. One of them grabbed Kelly and Sean holding them trying to pry their teeth into them.  I saw the way Sean looked at his little sitter I saw how he wanted to fight for her, but then I saw Kelly fighting as well, "Kelly, hang on I’m coming!" I started to run as fast as I could trying to reach them in time but right when I got there two gun shots ranged out then other one that’s when I ducked down not knowing who was shooting or where it came from.

    I looked back seeing Sean running to Kelly and then to me, "Katherine, are you okay?" Sean said slowly helping me up, "Yeah what about you two?" He nodded his head, but I was still looking around for who had shot the two zombies that were trying to kill them, who had saved them? I started to walk to the gate as Sean grabbed my hand. He knew I was in shock but somehow he always knew what I thinking about without me even saying a word he was there and always would be there, "Katherine, your family is fine we will find them I promise we will," Sean said pulling me into his arms, but I just didn’t want that promise because I knew deep down if we had problems getting out of here then they would to.

     I could feel the pain in my chest the tears starting to swell up in my eyes and falling down, couldn’t stand the thought of this anymore, what once kept me alive for so long for all this time keeping me going is now gone. The heart breaking thought of my own little brother gone. It was painful it was like my very own way of making me slowly die.

    I had to keep fighting though if I wanted to find them, or even keep these two safe as well. They were the only ones I had left for now till I found my family, Kelly thought she was like my own little sitter I had to take care of her even if it meant giving up my life for hers. Sean would to I knew him but only for him he would fight for Kelly and me and give his life up for us. This world wasn't the same anymore everywhere you went there was a zombie bent over eating someone else or someone turning into a zombie. Maybe I was wrong, but it seemed as if this infection would never end, but maybe someone could fix everything but till that day came I would have to fight. We would all have to fight.

    Then I thought how could I kill a person who was alive, who I didn't know, then I knew I would have a problem trying to kill someone, but I had to pull myself together the city was going to be pack with these zombies walking around I had to fight it was the only thing I could do. I knew that this begging of my story would bring a whole new heart breaking meaning to my life I lived, but I wasn’t willing to just let go yet.