Chapter 18

Psalm 32:8 (NIV) -- I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.

I was scrolling through social media, with some random movie acting as background noise on the television, when I got a call from Alex's mom. I turned off the TV as I accepted the call, "Hi Mrs. Taylor. How are you?"

"Oh, same old. I was pruning my bushes today. Working on the garden." Alex's parents have been growing flowers since he went missing. I guess I wasn't the only person who regularly received flowers from him. Alex's mom continued talking, "I cut a bunch of stems just now, and I was wondering if you wanted to take a few."

I chewed on my lip and frantically tried to think of an excuse. "Oh, that's a kind offer..."

"We have just too many flowers and not enough vases. Plus I would love to see you."

"It has been a while since I've stopped by," I said apologetically.

"Rich and I can make you a meal too. I know how college students appreciate free food." Beth almost sounded desperate, and I felt guilty for not visiting in so long. I know she misses Alex way more than I could ever imagine.

It just gets so hard to talk to her and not have him in the room. He is an enormous elephant just chilling on the coffee table, between the two of us.

Plus, how am I supposed to talk about anything when I spend so much time with a man who isn't her son. She could feel betrayed or think I've cheated on her son.

I sighed and knew what I should do. Or I know what Kaitlyn and Sam would tell me to do. Speaking to Beth, I agreed, "I can be there in about an hour."

________________

I wiped my sweaty palms on my sundress before I shut my car door. Beth opened her front door as wide as the smile on her face. "Get in here, Ryan!"

I hustled in the door and smelled something baking in the oven. "Oh Beth, you really didn't need the food to get me here."

"I've always dreamed of cooking for my kid when they return from college as an extra way of taking care of them." Beth's smile dropped for a bit before she kept talking. "You're like our daughter now, and well-- I'm not able to bake for Alex right now."

That hit me in the gut. I gave Beth a nervous laugh and clenched my hands behind my back. We stood in silence before Beth gestured to the kitchen and had me sit on a wooden chair.

"So, uh, where is Alex's dad?" There I go, saying his name 10 minutes into the day.

"Probably running some errands, picking up some stuff downtown," Beth waved off the question. "He will be sad that he missed you if he doesn't make it back. I assume you won't stay too long. Probably have so many people to see before you move back."

"When do you go back, Ryan?"

Just skipping over all the conversation topics in between, I guess. "Classes start after Labor Day this semester since the normal date is too close to when offices close for the holiday. I'll probably move my stuff that weekend since my parents will be off work."

Beth kept busy around the kitchen as timers went off and she poured me something to drink. I kept talking about school, mostly to fill the space in the kitchen. "I'm not necessarily doing anything exciting, but I know I'm on the right path," I concluded.