Chapter Four

Philippians 4:6 (ESV) -- Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.

"What do you not understand?" I asked, projecting my voice across my bedroom. My phone's placed on the edge of my desk with Alex on speaker phone. I listened to Alex's response as I thumbed through the hanging clothes in my closet. "Hmmm," I said in response. I pulled out a pink dress along with a black sweater dress. With a shake of my head, I replaced them on the closet's rack.

"Are you even listening to me?" Alex asked, bemused.

I sighed and walked over to my phone. I turned off the speaker and brought it up to my ear. "No, I'm not," I admitted. "Did I need to be?"

"What's distracting you?"

With a groan, I told him, "I have no idea what to wear tonight."

"Ryan, it's just my parents. Dinner at their house. You don't need to wear anything special."

"That's the issue! If we were going to some fancy French restaurant, I would be prepared. If we were going on a picnic, my outfit would be picked out yesterday. But this is a weird situation!"

"Wear something you would wear to school."

"But what if they think it's weird? I'm trying to hard? Or not trying enough?"

Alex laughed. I narrowed my eyes, despite that I knew he can't see it. "Don't laugh at my dilemmas," I told him.

"If you want to show up to my house in jean shorts and a t-shirt, my parents will not care. As long as your... um... assets stay out of sight, they will be more than pleased," Alex assured me.

"Whatever," I said with a smile. I turned the speaker back on and sat the phone down before I continued my hunt.

"Ryan?"

"Yes?" I said as I pulled out a pair of yellow shorts and threw them on my bed.

"I'll be at your house at 5:15, okay?"

I paused digging through my closet. "What happened to coming here at 5:35?"

"There's something I need to do before coming back home. I have to get something."

"Oh."

"What's wrong?"

I pursed my lips. "I'm going to have to rush to get ready."

Alex laughed heartily. "I'll see you later, Ryan."

"Bye, Alex," I said with a smile on my face. The call clicked off, and I pressed the sleep button. My search for a top ended with a sigh and a reluctant grab at a plain white v-neck. I reminded myself that I don't need to look perfect for Alex, but the annoying voice in the back of my head said otherwise.

The time to go arrived sooner than I had anticipated. The growl of an automobile sounded outside my door, and I barely got a glimpse of the roof of Alex's Jeep. Hurriedly, I threw done my eyeliner, giving up on my shaky hands, and fought to remove the mascara cap.

One knock pounded at the door.

"Shoot," I cursed, and I wiggled the mascara brush as fast as I could apply. I fumbled for my tube of Chapstick, sloppily applied it, then bolted from my room. I heard Alex's knock once more as I flung the door open.

We made eye contact and my breath escaped me. I exhaled briefly and smiled at him, whispering, "Hi."

Alex licked his lips and held out his hand. "Ready?" he asked. I was escorted to his Jeep. Within a minute or so of driving, his phone vibrated on the console. "Ryan," he asked, "could you see what that says?"