Chapter Six

Luke 1:45 (NIV) -- Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill His promises to her.

For the last month, Alex attended a military training camp in Oklahoma. He left on June 10th, and now, July 12th, Kaitlyn, Sam, and I were driving to the airport to drive him home. The last 30-some days passed by slowly when I couldn't spend time with Alex.

I desperately wished to spend the Fourth of July weekend with him, but Alex couldn't afford the extra plane ride. Because of that, I have not seen my boyfriend for the entire month. I won't complain about having Kaitlyn around to entertain me. I spent most of the week working at my neighbor's clothing store, and I threw an Independence Day party with Kaitlyn. However, I missed spending time with Alex. I bounced in the passenger seat of the truck as I thought about seeing Alex again.

"I still can't believe Ryan gets the front seat," Kaitlyn grumbled from the back. "I'm your girlfriend, Sam."

"It's tradition," he drawled. "Ryan always takes this seat, especially when she beats you to it."

I stuck my tongue out at the best friend. "Hah!" Kaitlyn kicked my seat.

"Besides," Same continued, "Ryan will be all over that backseat once Alex sits there."

"Hey!" I protested. "What makes you think I won't run to the front seat again?"

Kaitlyn and Sam both gave me a look. "Don't talk to me," I muttered with a huff, leaning back into the seat.

Kaitlyn leaned forward until her face was even with mine. "How are you going to react when you see your boyfriend?"

I bit back a smile. "Guess I'll see how I feel in the moment. How will you two act, since it is the first time officially meeting him?"

"I am most definitely introducing myself as the girl responsible for you two ending up together," Kaitlyn answered.

"It wasn't all you," I objected. "While you started it, I kept it going."

"But you never would have called him. I did. My responsibility," she argued.

"Mine."

"My turn to end this conversation," Sam interrupted, "before I throw you both through the window." With a humph, Kaitlyn crossed her arms and fell back into the seat. "Ryan," Sam asked, "why was Alex gone again?"

I directed my attention towards outside the window. "He needed to complete his speciality training, and the program took place in Oklahoma. Since he was in ROTC, and his future position desperately needs filled, his commanding officials encouraged him to complete this."

"Do you know what exactly he is doing? What he is training for?"

I shook my head. "He's mentioned it a few times, but I can never remember." I paused and frowned. "Come to think of it, I'm not sure if Alex did mention it. He always referred to it as training."

Kaitlyn spoke up. "Don't overthink it now. The airport is just ahead."

I perked up in the passenger seat. In the distance, a plane lowered down to the airport building. Alex could be on that plane right now. I grabbed my phone off my lab and checked the time: 12:45. Alex's plane should be landing in approximately 15 minutes.

My fidgeting hands tossed my phone gently on my lap. "Where are we meeting Alex again?" Sam, unbelievably casual and cool, told me that we can wait no farther than baggage claim. "He better book it to grab his suitcase then." 

"Someone is anxious to see her boyfriend," Kaitlyn joked. 

I turned to stick my tongue out at her. "Obviously yes, since he's been gone for half our the time of our relationship. He's been gone practically more than we've been dating!"