Chapter 17.

I couldn't do it. I just couldn't. I felt my body relax as I stopped fighting with myself and embraced the darkness. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

I was standing in a pool of steaming water. It was night, a full moon. I was still dressed in what I was wearing when I was fighting. Am I dead?

"No, you aren't dead." A woman said behind me. I whirled around, holding my stomach protectively and going into the defensive position. She was dressed in all black, with bronze skin and dark hair that was tied up into a compliated-looking bun. The woman looked transparent. She was smiling, and looked very familiar...

"Who are you?" I asked, still wary.

"You don't recognize me? Well, I'll give you a hint. You're carrying my grandchildren."

I gaped. "You're Paul's mom?"

"And you are very quick. I like that." She smiled even wider, stepping toward me. I didn't step back, but let her come close and put her palm to my cheek. She closed her eyes and sighed, then opened them and looked somewhere. I looked over my shoulder and gasped.

There were four babies floating in baskets down the river, each of them teeny little newborns. I made a move to grab them, but she held me back. "You have to make a choice." She said sternly, eying me. "You can either give up and die and let them die as well, or keep trying."

"They're my babies?"

"Yes. But they're dying, nin'a. They're dying because you are dying. You are losing the fight See?" She pointed to my hand and I saw that I was slowly fading, becoming like her.

"What do I do?"

"Live. I'll try and help. Now go."

She pushed me backwards and I fell into the water, taking a breath of air just before I fell in. My eyes flew open and I saw Paul's tear streaked face over me. You have no idea how much I wanted to fall back asleep, but I kept the image of our babies floating toward the light in my mind and I fought for all I was worth.

'Sing a song.' I heard Paul's mom's urgent voice in my head.

'I don't know any songs'.

'Okay, then repeat after me. First I was afraid.'

'First I was afraid.'

'I was petrified.'

'I was petrified.'

'Kept thinking I could never live.'

'Without you by my side.'

'Without you by my side. Ma'am what's the point of this?'

'I am Zoe, not ma'am, and you're staying awake and alive aren't you?'

'Yes.'

'Good. Now, let's just skip to the chorus.'

'What's next?'

'I will survive.'

'Really? That song?'

'Shut up and say it.'

'I will survive.'

'As long as I know how to love.'

'I know I will stay alive.'

'I know I will stay alive. I'm tired, Zoe.'

'STAY AWAKE! I've got all my life to live.'

'That's funny, because you're dead.'

'That was very insensitive, dear. Especially to someone who's trying to keep your heart pounding while you heal. And plus, there's the after life.'

'Sorry. I've got all my life to live. I'm healing? That's a good thing right?'

'Yes. I've got all my love to give.'

'I've got all my love to give.'

'And I'll survive.'

'And I'll survive.'

'I will survive.'

'I will survive.'

'You have survived, sweet.'

'No, dear, I mean you're finished healing.'

'For real? Does this mean I can go to sleep now?'

'Yep.'

'Cool, because I'm super tired. Hey, are you gonna be here when I wake up?'

'Unfortuantly, no. I have to go back.'

'Where?'

'You'll find out when you die.'

'Oh, okay, I think I can accept that.'

'I'll be watching.'

'Oh, that doesn't sound all light and mysterious at all.'

'Quiet. Please.'

'Yes mommy. But can I say one more thing before I pass out?'

'Go for it.'

'You'd be a better mom than my mom is to me, most definitely.' 

Thank you.' There was real emotion in her voice. 'Now sleep, child.'

I did as I was told and, closed my eyes, drifting off to sleep.

When I woke up I felt...good. I heard someone shift beside me and looked to see Paul, looking at me in relief. He jumped up and kissed me fiercely then hugged me against his chest.

"Don't you ever do that to me again, you understand?"

"I'll try not to." My throat was scratchy. "Can I have some water?"

"Sure." He handed me a glass and I took it, gulping it down. That was better. He kept on looking at me like I was going to disappear forever. I noticed the dark circles under his eyes. "You were out for two weeks."

"Really? It feels like a nap. I'm still tired."

"You shifted."

"I know. Isn't that cool?"

He chuckled. "Yes, that's very cool. Now go back to sleep, love. And try not to stay asleep for so long again."

"I'll try," I murmured sleepily. "Paul?"

"Yes, love?"

"How's the babies?"

"They're fine, they healed with you when you healed. But it was a very close call. You almost died." He whispered. I closed my eyes and sighed.

"It's a good thing I didn't, huh?"

He breathed a laugh and pecked me on the forehead. I drifted off knowing that everything was all right.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

okay, i was going to make her miscarry a kid, I seriously was. But then I found the most ADORABLE picture of quadruplets *(three boys and a girl also)*, and I knew it just couldn't be wasted. I'll post it later so you'll see what I'm talking about....