Chapter 12

Maurice

I really thought her dad was going to kill us. I'm was so surprised that he was all calm and collective. Shayla pregnant with my first child. The other girl baby was not mine - thank God.

I hope she have a boy, but whatever we have I'm fine with it. I just have to make sure that myself and my family and closest friends are safe.

"Babe, come on before we late for school."

"I'm coming, geesh." The ride to school was smooth. We rapped along to some songs on the way.

"Everything gone be okay ma." I said holding her hand as we walked into the building. We walked up to the crew.

"That's my nigga." Aj said. I laughed. I dapped everyone up.

"We have an announcement." The crew looked at Shayla and I.

"What is it?" Jayceon asked.

"We're having a baby." They congratulated us and hugged Shayla.

The rest of the day went by drama free. Which was werid. I just hope nothing happens to my wife or unborn child.

I excused myself from the lunch table, to go into the bathroom. I did my busy and walked over to the sink. When I was washing my hands someone came in, but I didn't bother to look up.

"Hey daddy, miss me?" I looked up to see Shayla sister, Jasmine.

"Girl hell no! I didn't miss you and why you in the boys bathroom?  Is there something I need to know?" I said. She rolled her eyes.

"You need to know that I can do you better, then any other bitches you been with - including my sister." Why did I fuck with somone like her? I gave her the D twice and she been clingy ever since.

"I don’t want you get that straight." She walked over to me trying to unzip my pants. I pushed her away she tried again.

"You know you want me stop fighting it."

"I'll say this once and once only I. Do. Not. Want. Yo. Hoe. Ass. Leave me alone and keep my wife name out your mouth before you regret it." I yelled at her. She flinched.

"But you belong to me. I'm your wife."

"SHUT THE FUCK UP! ARE YOU STUPID OR DUMB?! LEAVE ME ALONE SHIT. THIRSTY ASS." I pushed her out the way and walked out the bathroom.

Shayla

Being pregnant and diabetic worries me. I made an appointment to see doctor Hamilton after school today.

The office wasn't full, so I wouldn't have to wait that long.

"Come on miss thang." Lucy said. She is an older lady. She's nice and sweet, but don't get on her bad side. I laughed at her.

"Who is this young man?" She asked me.

"This is my boyfriend Maurice." She smiled largely at me.

"Well, it's nice to meet you son. I hope you treating my favorite girl right."

"Yes ma'am, I am." She weighed me and checked my pressure - which was higher then usual.

"I'm going to get Dr. Hamilton sweety." I nodded. A few minutes he walked in.

"Shayla its good to see you again."

"I would hope so." I laughed.

"Lucy told me your pressure is higher then usual. Have you been eating right and taking your meds?"

"Yes, but there's a problem."

"How so?"

"I'm pregnant." I mumbled.

"Ah, I see." He walked to the door. 

"Lucy come here for a second." She walked into the room.

"Yes."

"Well I see why her pressure is higher then usual."

"Why?" She looked between the doctor and me.

"I'm pregnant." I said.

"Aw, my baby having a baby." She hugged me.

"I need you to go get the nebulizer. She needs it to bring down her pressure." She nodded and walked out.

"Being diabetic and pregnant can have you pregnancy at high risk for you. By looking at your pressure it needs to be brought down. Pregnant women who have diabetes before becoming pregnant have special health concerns. To the new demands that pregnancy puts on the body, women with diabetes must also carefully monitor and control their blood sugar levels and manage their diabetes medications. You will need to find an obstetrician who handles high-risk pregnancies and has cared for other pregnant women with diabetes. Also, a pediatrician or neonatologist (doctor for newborn babies) who knows and can treat special problems that can happen in babies of women with diabetes. A registered dietitian who can change your meal plan as your needs change during and after pregnancy. And a diabetes educator who can help you manage your diabetes during pregnancy." He was interrupted by Lucy walking in. She hooked up the machine, so that I could breathe in the medicine. Maurice looked so concerned and worried. I gave him a sight smile.

Maurice

Sitting here listening to the doctor talk to us about her being pregnant and her pregnancy being high risk. This really breaks my heart. I have to make sure I'm here every step of the way without any mishaps.  I'm doing good so far I hope it stay that way.

My Shayla. I just hope it all gets better from here.

Shayla

"Your body is changing as the baby grows. Because you have diabetes, these changes will affect your blood glucose level. Pregnancy can also make symptoms of low blood glucose hard to detect. During pregnancy, your diabetes control will require more work. The blood glucose checks you do at home are a key part of taking good care of yourself and your baby before, during and after pregnancy. Blood glucose targets are designed to help you minimize the risk of birth defects, miscarriage and help prevent your baby from getting too large. If you have trouble staying in your target range or have frequent low blood glucose levels or targeting your blood glucose levels. I'd advise you contact me asap Shayla."

"Okay I will."

"Do either of you have any questions?"

"No." We said in unison. I made an appointment and we left. I was hungry and tired. He grabbed my hand, as he drove.

"Are you okay baby?"

"Yes I'm fine, just hungry and tired."

"I'll cook us something, then you can rest."

I went to shower. While Maurice made dinner.

"Here you go ma." He handed me a plate of spaghetti. We ate and talked about the baby.

After dinner I went upstairs to bed while Maurice stayed downstairs to clean up.

Today was an hard day for me. After today everything changes.  This may be a hard 9 months, but I pray nothing goes wrong or happens to me or the baby. As soon as I got comfortable I let sleep take over me.