| Twenty-nine

___

29

V I S I O N

O F

P E A C E

___

"YOUR MUM DIDN'T SAY YOU'D BE IN SO SOON," she says quietly. "I'm sorry for bothering you. I was just curious as to what that noise was."

I need to leave -

She's dreamed of everything she'd ever say to him, if she were given a moment like this just one more time, but here she is, and she can't say anything of note. She balls her fists, she's so frustrated with herself.

I'm a coward -

A failure -

And she swiftly reminds herself of her duty to the rebellion. She is to give her life, if necessary, in the attempt to overthrow Voldemort.

We can never be together -

And it's what I deserve -

Hermione pushes past him to leave.

"Please stay," he says, briefly touching her arm to stop her. "There's still a lot I need to tell you."

Looking up at him, she can see bags under his eyes, and knowing he must eventually want to rest, she agrees cautiously. He smirks, happy he got his way. But when he throws himself on the bed, sprawling out like he's genuinely exhausted, she wonders if he'll even be able to stay awake long enough to spit out whatever it is that he has to say to her. She stays standing, instead choosing to pace along the length of the room. While doing so, she tries to read his thoughts.

What is that -

For a moment, a flashing vision of a golden necklace enters her mind, but it is brief, because she is quickly shut out.

"You can always come join me if you'd like to know what my secret mission is."

She rolls her eyes, finally stopping to look at him, and he's got his head propped up on an elbow.

I am curious though -

That necklace is no ordinary trinket, and perhaps he purposefully showed her the thought to get her interested in a conversation. She chuckles to herself in disbelief as she actually climbs onto the massive bed to sit next to him.

"You are still so dramatic. And besides, are you even allowed to tell me anything? I'm the enemy, by a lot of people's standards. Won't Neville be upset that you've betrayed the rebellion by leaking their secrets to Voldemort's daughter?"

"No," he retorts. "You're not the enemy. He is - Tom. And Longbottom - he'll come around. He has to. He's been told already that he should be angry with Bellatrix, not you. Just give him time."

"Well, we don't have much time, as it is. They could order us to attack tonight, if they wanted." She lays her head back on the headboard, and then the mattress moves as Draco joins her against the pillows. Drawing her eyes to his, she suddenly senses a difference about him.

So serious -

"If we're on such life and death terms, then I suppose it won't hurt to tell you my plan. You will play a part - if it comes down to it." He digs in his pocket, to pull out a long golden necklace, but the piece hanging from the chain is unique.

___

Thank you for choosing Avada for your fanfic fix.

If you enjoyed this chapter, please leave a vote and feel free to comment your thoughts.