Challenge

She could feel it beneath her skin again, this overpowering rage that boiled at such a heat it felt cold to her. Her skin chilled and grew cold, Kael had paused behind her probably noticing the change in the surrounding her and yet he said nothing. That worried her even more than if he had mentioned the fact that she wasn’t controlling it.

It took all of her will to hold in the darkness inside of her. If she closed her eyes she could imagine this orb just floating in the darkness and yet it would still emit a light that only she could see. Well since nobody else had told her about it she took that as her being the only person being able to actually see her outline that encased her body and kept her powers within her own skin.

With embarrassed rage Morrigan kicked the door open and walked back into the dining room with Kael lurking in her shadow. All eyes turned to her and War smirked placing his mug down on the table as he reclined in his seat.

“Look who came back.”

“Shut up.” She snapped at him and like that his mouth shut tightly until it was a thin line stretching over his lower face, “I’ll do this on one condition.” She turned her eyes to lock with Deaths.

Something passed between the two and he sat up in his seat, Kael came to stand beside her looking between the father and daughter show down.

“What would that one condition be?” He enquired rising to his feet before he did so out of anger sensing her outrageous demand.

“He gets a separate room.” She said pointing to Kael at her right.

His eyes went wide and he turned and looked at Death as his eyes too went wide, “Why?”

“I’m not sharing a bed with him, I doubt the others here share beds with their retainers seeing as how their men. Why should I subject myself to discrimination.” She snarled the darkness stretching and the wavering crystal outline cracking in the air.

“He is there to protect you-” Death was not going to win this fight anytime soon.

“I have proven I can protect myself, either grant me this or I won’t participate in anything you have planned including this prophecy that needs me to happen.” His jaw clenched at her demand.

It wasn’t all that unreasonable though, it was mild compared to what she could have asked for. Then again she had a sneaking suspicion that Death would have been happier to hand her ten billion dollars in gold bricks than give her this freedom. Kael cleared his throat raising his hand into the air sheepishly avoiding eye contact.

“I would like to second that, she does deserve more privacy than what’s been given to her in comparison with the others.” He added glancing at her.

Death leaned over the table his wide hands fanning out as his pale skin grew nearly translucent, he looked up and fought back the second form he contained constantly. His eye sockets had begun to suck back creating deep shadow like bruises around his wide eyes already.

“Fine.” He hissed through his clenched and grinding teeth.

“Then on with the show.” She murmured turning and walking back out of the room leaving them there to all sit and stew in their own juices while she began to prepare for anything.

She had no idea what the challenge would be and she wasn’t excited to find out anytime soon what it would be. In all honesty she had a sinking sensation about what this test would be between Retainers and Heirs. Something about the way Death had brought it up, it made her nervous and not very much made Morrigan nervous.

“You alright.”

“I have a bad feeling about this challenge. I know most of it if not all of it, will be under water.” She murmured looking down at the floor watching the way her feet stepped on the tiled lines that patterned up the hallway. Her hands crossed over her chest as she huffed out a breath, “Retainers and Heirs, why would he say that instead of pairs.”