Prologue- The Trial

The Judge raised his hands signalling for silence through the courtroom. His steady yet tired brown eyes fell on the accused sitting behind the table to his left.

“Does the defense have anything more to add, or are we prepared for the crowns closing statement?” He asked in the now silent room.

A middle aged lawyer dressed in a handsomely made brown tweed jacket and suit rose to his feet. His face solemn ready for a losing battle to finally come to a end. He knew from the beginning of the trial that it would be futile; the evidence was stacked in mountains around them.

He cast a sad glance to his client who sat silently next to his partner, then to his partner who looked just as depressed. They nodded in unison, earlier when they had spoken in private to discuss strategy they had all agreed they would do their best, but not to get too attached.

“No your honour. The Defence-“ he choked on his words getting sympathetic glances from all around, “The Defense will rest our case, Thank you” He gave a grateful bow and sat down quickly before his legs gave out.

The Judge’s face was cold as he swept his dark gaze to the crown prosecutors. Both women, both fighting for composure. Even though every detail pointed to the accused, in their hearts and minds they could not do it. But it was their job and as duty called they rose to their feet in perfect unison.

“Would the crown please make their final statement for the court and jury residing” The judge leaned back in his plush black leather chair.

The case had rattled the nation and brought real fear into people. The woman on the left nodded her frizzy blond bun bobbing atop her head. Her partner all but deflated into her seat thankful that her part was almost done.

“Thank you your honour” She approached the stand shifting her weight left to right nervously, “Your honour, and members of the jury, we came here today to prove justice is capable even when faced with a cruel and unshakable opponent. We hope to prove today that our legal system can do true justice for the people who lost their lives, and show the world that not everyone is as they seem to be. I ask you for the lives lost and for the many more that could be lost, to look at the accused sitting before you, with clear eyes and minds. To see that the crime committed is an excessive use of violence and cruelty.” She was going off her pre-written statement,

“And find her guilty of all charges, so that she never sees daylight again” She stopped shaking her head, “Thank you, your honour. The Crown respectively rests its case” hurriedly the woman walked back to her seat.

The judge nodded once, “We will now break for the Jury to deliberate and come to a unanimous decision on the accused charges” He tapped the small wooden gavel and the jury rose to be ushered away by the court officers. The onlookers did not move from their seats.

                No one spoke.

Within an hour the jury returned with their verdicts once they had all been seat their answer would end it all once and for all. No more waiting, struggling, fighting, for a useless cause.

“Has the Jury come to a unanimous decision?” the Judge asked spinning around in his chair to face the jury.

A woman rose to her feet her grey suit jacket and matching knee length skirt made her look dull with her smooth brown hair pulled back tightly stretching the skin on her face. It pulled out the wrinkles that would have been more noticeable. Placing her hands in front of herself she gave a curt nod her dark brown eyes hard and cold much like the judges face as he sat behind his desk.

“Yes your honour, we the Jury have come to a decision on the case of Letalias Vs. The Queen.” She paused unfolding her hands and raising a cue card up to just under her face, “We the Jury find Miss. Letalias guilty on all charges including, 1st degree murder, 2nd degree murder, 3rd degree murder with malicious intent, and Manslaughter expressing excessive cruelty and violence.” For a while nobody spoke, a heavy silence dropped over the room like a blanket until it neared suffocating.

Utter sweeping shock befell the onlookers, a sad smile tugged at the edges of the accused’s lips and tears bordered in her eyes, clearing his throat the Judge lowered his gaze, finally showing some remorse for what he was about to do.

“Alright, In the case of Morrigan Letalias, age 6, Miss. Letalias you have been found guilty in the murder of your mother, father, brother and twenty more human beings. The court hereby has tried you as an adult and will sentence you to life in solitary confinement in a maximum security prison.” He tapped his gavel before rising,

“Court is now adjourned, please escort Miss. Letalias out” He pointed over at the child sitting between the two defense attorneys who both fought tears.

She sat silently still between her two lawyers who had fought tooth and nail for her freedom. A freedom it seemed was no longer even possible in her mind; her sentence was that of death and nothing more. The tears rolled in heavy rivers down her cheeks.

The viewers in the bench seats sat mortified as the child of 6 years was marched in a tight velvet black dress with a soft white bow tied around her small chest. Zip ties used to bind her small round wrists together; the Bailiff placed a calloused hand atop her small head and led her out of a side door leaving the court room full of people. The jury woman who had read the decision dropped back into her seat before breaking out into a horrible fit of wails, and tears.

The next day newspapers were filled with headliners that read the same thing, front pages had a beautiful picture of a little girl standing atop of dark wooden park bench dressed in a light green floral pattern summer dress, and her dark auburn hair lay flat around a pleasantly angelic round face. A delightful smile played at her small lips, and her pale jade green eyes shone with joy.

The headline read: Six year old kills 23 in one afternoon