Chapter 3- Luck? If There's Such A Thing

Filled With Pain – Chapter 3

You can say, I'm trippin' but I'm stingy and I can't hide it

Wanna keep you all to me, I'm selfish, why try to fight it?

You're the only one with the only love that's strong enough to claim me

So please forgive me, I'm just stingy but how can you blame me

*Ring Ring*

My alarm went off allowing to me know that I had once again slept through my first couple alarms. If I didn’t get up now I would definitely be late for school.

I rushed around my room grabbing my outfit of choice for the day before taking the fastest bath in my ensuite. I proceeded in getting ready as I pulled all of my hair into a messy bun and pulled on my studded trainer wedges to go with my PU skater skirt and top.

Rushing down the stairs I searched for my dad only to be met by my mother.

“Mommy, where’s daddy?” She jumped up and quickly turned to face me. I glanced at the phone in her hand to see that she was in a middle of a phone call.

“Love you, bye.” She said before hanging up and placing the phone on the side. “Oh I don’t know where your father is darling.”

“Wasn’t that just him on the phone?” I questioned.

“Oh no. Uhm...I think he’s left for work. He said he was going to be late.” I groaned in annoyance,

“But hes’ the boss! He never late and even if he is, he always makes time to take me to school. Always!” I could feel myself beginning to stress.

“I’m not too sure Ray. Ramel’s upstairs still, see if he’ll drop you.”

I nodded before deciding to walk instead of bothering Ramel. Was my father avoiding me? Slowly but surely I contemplated the aspect of bunking. With me not only being street smart, I was also very book smart. One day off wouldn’t have made a big difference to my grade. However my legs weren’t having it, I found myself arriving at school to be met by two people I would call my closest friends- but then again, I didn’t have many friends. I looked at being popular and having friends as two different things, two very different things -James and Denise.

“Early as ever Miss Quinns.” James announced sarcasm heavy in his speech.

“Well sorry at least I’m here.”

We walked hand in hand stepping into the tutor class. There were simply no ifs or buts about it, we all looked like a bag of money. James was a male model working for all the top name brands, Gucci, Levi, and Hugo Boss. You name it and he’s probably already been on the cover. Now Denise was a normal girl. We had what you would call a love/hate relationship. I generally couldn’t stand her a majority of the time, but we were family. Then there was me, Rayne Royal Quinns, younger sibling of Ramel Quinns, daughter of Carlos and Roselle Quinns. Now what did I do? I was getting mines without having to try. I didn’t always use my name to get what I wanted but it was an advantage. I was just lucky enough to be born into Atlanta’s and Columbia’s finest drug empire. Run by yours truly Midnight also known as Carlos Quinns. Luck right? If there was such thing.

The three of us dodged the desks and seats out front and made our way to the back of class.

“So Rayne, why were you so late today anyways?”  James asked me as I pulled my notebook out. I sighed slightly, I loved these two like they were my own blood –sometimes - but it wasn’t by force that they had to know every single detail of my life. There was just something’s that were better left unsaid.