06-Belief

"Wait, let me get this straight" I say staring in shock at the radio in his car. "You listen to Alesana?"

He taps his fingers on the wheel to the beat of the song. "They're not my top favorite band but yeah, I occasionally listen to their music. Mostly their old shit."

"What the fuck," I state. "You don't look like the type to listen to this kind of music."

I glance back at Kimberly and I can tell she wants to cringe at the music so badly, especially when the lead singer starts screaming. Alesana is a punk band that would mostly definitely get called "emo music" by my sister. Especially since they do a lot of the 'screaming at a high pitch' that most people make fun of. But they have some really great lyrics and I like the way they mix punk/screamo with pop a bit.

"Yeah, well neither do you" he points out with a smile. I point to my outfit which is a baggy A Day to Remember band shirt, blue jeans and my combat boots. "Hmm well point taken. But still, I wouldn't expect you to like rock."

"Yeah, I get that a lot." I say dryly. I realize that I judged him like my sister does and I feel a little bad. "Sorry, it probably wasn't fair of me to judge you like that."

"No problem," he says. He picks up his phone, which is connected to the aux cord. "You can look through my music if you want."

I take the phone from his hands and scroll through his music. He has a lot of music, over 1,000 songs. There's a lot of rap but there's also all different kinds of rock music; from Led Zeppelin, Neil Young and even Linkin Park. I knew most of the songs on his phone and I'm forced to begrudgingly admit that while I still think he's a cocky little shit, he has damn good taste in music.

I pause, my thumb on one song and grinned. "Ok, what is this doing on here?"

I press play and a second later the piano intro to , "A Thousand Miles" by Vanessa Carlton comes through the speakers. Kimberly starts cracking up, and even Tina giggles a bit.

Dean grins, not even looking a little embarrassed. "Come on, you can't tell me you don't like this song."

"Oh I do,"I admit, still grinning. "However, I'm not the big, bad, macho man who is supposedly a hitman."

Dean laughs. "Nice to know you're listening in on the gossip about me little Carmen. Just out of curiosity, did you start any of those rumors? Perhaps the one about me being a part of the mafia?"

I narrow my eyes in annoyance. "Stop trying to change the subject"

"And yet," he muses, looking away from the road to look at me. "I still don't hear you denying it."

I clench my hand into a fist, willing myself not to blush or let my temper get the best of me.

"Aww you guys are so cute!" Kimberly gushes and I almost swing my fist at her face.

"Kimberly," I snap. "There is nothing cute about this."

I click on the first song I see, not even caring about the Vanessa Carlton song anymore. I study the streets outside, watching the pedestrians run quickly across the street, unconcerned that they don't have the light.

"I became obsessed with the song after seeing White Chicks," he confesses. I turn to look at him in surprise and he gives me a wry smile. "That scene in the car was one of my favorite parts, I listen to that song when I want to laugh."

I stay silent, and go back to looking through his music. Kimberly and Tina begin talking in the back and I listen half-heartedly as I continue to pick different songs to play. Before I know it, we're dropping Kimberly off.