01: Teenagers

"Yo, watch where you're going!" an angry kid yells at me as I push my way through the hallway.

"If you don't want to get pushed then walk faster idiot." I mumble as I continue on my way.

I can't stand when people walk like they have all the time in their lives, taking up all the space in the hall so I have no choice but to wait till they decide to move.  I mean I get that you don't give a shit about your education but I can't afford another tardy!

I quickly walk to my locker, switch my previous textbooks for my stuff for the next classes and slam it shut again. My third period class is Social Studies and it's the only class that I really have to be on time to. The teacher really doesn't play when it comes to lateness. He doesn't care if you don't do the work and just sit there all day but if you come late to class all hell breaks loose.

I'm turn the corner and I can see my class door still open and a grin spreads across my face; finally I won't have to hear Mr. Sharps' crap about being late. But my grin quickly fades when I notice the big crowd a few feet from me. Oh crap, there's another fight.

There are always fights in my school, but especially in the morning. Don't ask why, I guess it's because everyone still in a cranky mood for being here so early or something. And now I'm going to be late to class. Fucking perfect.

I try squirming my way through the crowd but no one wants to budge and I sigh in frustration when the bell rings. Everyone starts cheering and yelling out some guys name and I turn my head to check out the fight. There are two guys, both tall but one is a few inches taller. They're both pretty buff looking and at glance you would think it would be a close match on who'd win. But it's pretty clear that the taller guy is winning.

He's on top of the guy, punching the guy repeatedly in the face and I can see blood trailing from his nose as well as his mouth. I cringe when he starts to kick the now unconscious guy in the stomach; damn this guy is mad as hell. The saddest part is we're all watching this, and yet we're not even trying to do anything to stop the guy. 

But that's the way things are; if you get involved then you risk getting your own ass whipped and nobody is willing to do that. Suddenly 5 security guards come running down the hall and quickly try to pull the guy away and the crowd starts to leave when they realize the fight is over.

FINALLY!

I slowly make my way to class; I'm already late so no point in going crazy. I knock on the door and after a moment Mr. Sharp opens the door, frown clear on his face.

Oh god, here we go.

"You're late again Carmen! How many times do I have to tell you that I don't like tardiness?" he says grilling me.

"Listen, I tried to get here on time but there was another fight and all the kids blocked the way." I respond with a  shrug.

"Why is it that there always seems to be a fight whenever you're coming to my class Miss Muñiz?" he asks sarcastically.

"I don't know, bad luck?" I give him a hopeful smile. I think that just pissed him off even more.

"I've given you multiple warnings about being late, now it's time I take action about it." He walks to his desk and fills out a form. "You have detention today after school, and don't be late because for every minute your late, that's another detention, got it?"

"What?! That's crazy!" I exclaim getting mad. "You're acting like it's my fault that there was a fight or something. I'm not going to detention, that's bull."

"What's that Miss Muñiz? You want another detention for talking back? Ok that's fine." he says filling out another detention form.

This little fucker! Ok, stay calm Carmen It's pretty obvious you're not going to win this fight. Just take the slip and shut up.

"Why thank you Mr. Sharp how nice of you." I say sarcastically taking the slips and sitting down in my seat.  

Detention after school...yippee. Man I love my life.  (I hope you realize how sarcastic I'm being right now).