5. Flying Cockroach Or Scary Cockroach?

Jamie Thompson

"Hey mom," I say passing her heading upstairs before Josh catches up with me.

"Hello honey, Josh stop bothering your sister." She yells but of course Josh just ignored her running past her. I trip over some clothes that are on the floor my body half landing on my bed. Luckily I recovered quickly slamming my door shut. I should really keep my room clean. It'll be much safer to walk into or run. I began composing my breathing until I heard banging from my door.

"Jamie Ima get you." He shouts from the other side.

"I'm sorry," I yell back honest. "Can you just forgive me? Remember you broke my pinkie." He did. I had thought that it being a pinkie, the smallest finger in your hand; it wouldn't have hurt at all. Well I was wrong. It ached like no other. All that I have left of that painful memory is a retarded pinkie in my right hand. All my fingers go straight except for my pinkie which decides to go right. Its gross and I remind him all the time about it.

"Nope, there's only one way to settle this." He says calming down. Aw, no. Not that.

"Cockroach race!" Aaron yells at the top of his lungs. I sigh opening the door in agreement.

"But if I win, you can't tell anyone about him." I whisper only for him to hear.

"Fine but if I win you have to go to our gig and sing."

"What, no." I exclaim becoming nervous at such a risk I was taking just for Josh to shut his trap. How did he even know about me liking Mason, this is bad, he's going to blackmail me if I don't win.

"Matt, I have some―" He yells enough to be heard from downstairs.

"Fine I agree," I snap interrupting him. "Now be quiet." We head downstairs where my mom was cooking dinner for us. She was talking to Mathew.

"Come on Matt," Josh says with a grin leading us towards the garage, but of course the twins where already there holding money in their hands excited for the big race.

"What's going on?" Mathew asks bewildered, I laugh in response. Josh pulled out a wooden board with fencing around it and right in-between the middle.

"Cucaracha race," The twins giggle like little girls as the take out a plastic container filled with cockroaches. We have to hide the container from my mom or else she'll flip when she see so many cockroaches all in a sealed plastic box. Mother's never been fond of cockroaches since the flying cockroach incident. Basically, the twins' room had pizza from two weeks and well you know the rest. My mom got feat up with the stench that she went to their room only for her to find the biggest thing ever in cockroach history on top of the desk. Calmly she lifted one of the boy's shoes to kill it but it jumped off the desk, soaring through the air for a little until it landed running towards her. That was the loudest scream I've ever heard from her. Worse than the time we had a mud fight in our backyard or when Josh broke my pinkie.

"I pick first," Josh says looking around for his bug. "This one," He says picking the biggest one taking it out and placing it on the racing lane, stopping the cockroach from going forward. I thought it was nasty at first but living with my brothers has taught me how to have patients and nerves of steel at times.

"I want that one." I pick the smallest one that looked hungry. Adrian placed it on my racing lane. Josh's bug was in the corner terrified of the loud noise, its antennas going everywhere.

"Ten bucks, I say Josh wins." Aaron says with a grin on his face.

"Same here," Adrian adds.

"You guys are going to lose." Mathew smiles pulling out ten dollars from his pocket. "I go for Jamie." I smile hoping I wouldn't lose. If I lost, I'd have to sing in the gig, miss the dance, and Mathew would lose ten bucks. Not to mention Josh would still have something to blackmail me by when he wants something from me.