~12~ guardian

(Lynn's POV)

I've been crying in the hospital bathroom for over an hour. My head is pounding and my nose is stuffy. I find the strength to stand up and look at my reflection in the mirror.

I see weakness, pain, and suffering. My eyes are red and puffy and tear stains trail down my cheeks. I look past my outward appearance and focus on how I feel inside; guilt. Guilt for not spending as much time with my mom as I should, and guilt for yelling at Benjamin.

I begin to grow worried. What if Benjamin doesn't appear to me anymore? With my mother gone, who will take care of me?

I burst out of the bathroom door and start running back to the forest. Usually, I wouldn't be able to run this far, but determination keeps me going.

After a while, I reach the tree where Benjamin and I first met. Looking up, I try to look for a pair of almost white wings, but all I see is tree branches.

My heart sinks and I begin to walk away, but as I'm walking, I run into something. The familiar feeling of the fabric of Benjamin's coat causes a smile to creep on my face.

"You came back to look for me," Benjamin whispers.

"Benjamin, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean what I said. I don't know what I'd do without you." I pour out, tightly hugging his torso. "I think you're the best angel ever." I let go of him and look up at him.

Benjamin kneels down so I can talk to him without craning my head up to see his face. "Can I ask you something?" I ask him.

He slowly nods and listens intently.

"Since my mother is gone and I don't have anyone else to live with, d-do you think you could be my guardian? Like my dad?" My voice trembles.

After I spoke, Benjamin's wings start to glow. I know that he usually feels pain when his wings change, but his face shows no sign of discomfort. He stands up and watches his own wings change.

After a few moments, his wings stop glowing, revealing snow-white wings that are even bigger than they were before.

"W-what just happened?" Benjamin stutters.

"Congratulations, Ben." I hear a different voice greet. I turn to see another angel, this one having tattoos all over his arms.

(Ben's POV)

I smile at the visitor. "Chester, I haven't seen you in a long time."

Chester gives me a friendly pat on the shoulder. "After all these years of me trying to change you to a good angel, you've finally become one, with the help of Lynn, of course."

I hug my old friend as a thank you. He nods a greeting to Lynn before he disappears. "I'm proud of you, Ben." He says just before he disappears.

"Since I'm a guardian angel now..." I pick up a dead leaf from the ground. As soon as it touches my hand, it restores its original green color.

"So, you didn't answer my question," Lynn giggles. "Will you be my dad?"

I pick Lynn up and gently kiss her head. "Of course I will. I love you, my girl."

"I love you too, dad," Lynn replies, burying her head into my shoulder.

From then on, I became her father. I watched her finish high school, I cried when she went off to college, I was with her when she walked down the aisle, I helped babysit her child, I was there when she retired, and I led her to the light when she passed away. I was with her through the good times and the bad. And boy I sure am glad I met Lynn.