~4~ lonely

(Lynn's POV)

I hike back up to my house, the scene from earlier playing out in my head. He spared my life, but why? Was it because I was kind to him? I thought that you're supposed to be kind to everyone, at least that's what my mother ran taught me. Other people he meets must not be kind to him.

When I walk in the door, my mother isn't home; she's at her day job. I am by myself. Usually, I have Oliver to keep me company, but he's gone.

As I trudge up the stairs, I feel something that I only feel whenever Oliver used to have to stay at the vet while my mom was at work; loneliness.

I go to my bedroom and sit at my desk, pulling my sketchbook from my drawer and my pencil from my pencil case. Whenever I feel loneliness trying to creep its way into my mind, I start to draw to drive it away.

(Ben's POV)

I am invisible as I follow Lynn into her house, hovering over her without a sound. Her shoulders are slouched and she holds herself in a downcast state.

My wings have become a slight shade lighter. I cannot figure out why, but I assume it has something to do with Lynn. Lynn is something special, unlike any other human I've seen.

She goes to her room and begins to draw. I sit on her bed, knowing she cannot see me, and scan my eyes around her room. I notice she does not have pictures of her and her friends or family around the room, like most of my victims do. She only has a picture of her, her mom, and her dog.

Since I'm a dark angel, I only know about her fears, so I don't know about her personal life. Dark angels usually don't care about the lives of their victims; they just do their duty. I don't know why but I feel the need to learn more about Lynn so I can have a better understanding of her.

I stand up from the bed and in doing so, I step on one of my wings. I hold back a yelp and look down to see a feather had come off. I panic, knowing that if the feather is not attached to me, it's not invisible anymore.

Lynn turns around as if she had heard something. She looks down at the feather and gets up. Twirling the dark gray feather in her fingers, she looks around the room. "Benjamin?"

I remain invisible and motionless. Lynn searches the room for any sign of me. After about 10 minutes of searching, she gives up. To my surprise, she keeps the feather, placing it in her jewelry box.

"I know you're here somewhere, Benjamin." She whispers. "I don't know why you're here, but thank you. It makes me feel less alone."

At her words, my face changes from curiosity to pity. Was she really so alone? Her dog must have been her only friend and I...I killed him. Anger at myself brews inside of me. I'm such a jerk!

I'm not supposed to feel bad for what I did, I'm supposed to cause misfortune. Why do I feel pity for her?

"She felt pity for me," I whisper quietly to myself, answering my own question. "She gave me pity even when I didn't deserve it."