3. Can We Say Awkward?

Chapter 3

Can We Say Awkward?

Abigail couldn’t stop cooing over me and Max at dinner.  Probably because the last time that we’d all had dinner together, he and I weren’t together.

“You two are just too adorable for words!” she said, smiling at us. 

Max hadn’t let go of my hand all through dinner.  I think he needed me close just as much as I wanted him.  After all these months, I could finally touch him, feel him beside me.

“We’ve heard you say that for about the hundredth time now,” Max said, laughing.

“But you’re just…”

“‘Too adorable for words.’ We get it,” Max and I repeated, and then looked at each other, laughing.

I looked over at Brielle, who was smiling and rubbing her stomach with her hand and had her other in Dad’s.  I reached over then and put a hand on her stomach.  Just then, the baby kicked.  She always seemed to do that.

“So are you two going out with Ben and Drew?” Maddox asked. 

Max nodded.  “We’re going to meet up with them a little later,” he said.

“And make sure what happened the last time doesn’t happen again,’ Dad said, smirking.

I narrowed my eyes at him.  “Yeah, I’ll make sure of that,” I said. 

Max started laughing from beside me.  I pulled my hand from his and smacked his stomach.  “Don’t you start,” I said to him.

“But you made such an adorable drunk,” he said. 

I grumbled underneath my breath as I stood up.  “I’m going to the bathroom,” I said. 

“Come on, Callie,” Max said, looking shocked at my reaction. 

I walked toward the hallway where the bathrooms were, but didn’t go in.  I just leaned against the wall, knowing that Max would be coming any second.  And I was right when I saw his figure heading toward me.  He stopped right in front of me, but didn’t say a word. 

“Callie,” he said quietly. 

I couldn’t stay angry at him for long, though, especially when I could feel him inching toward me.  His face was right next to mine then and my heart was pounding so much that I could hear it in my ears.  Everyone around us disappeared since he was so close.

“Hey,” he said quietly.  I had to fight myself and not shiver. 

“What?” I grumbled.  I really wasn’t mad now.  I just wanted to hear his apology. 

“Don’t be mad,” he said, his breath blowing across my face.  I felt him place a kiss right under the edge of my jaw and my heart started beating double time. 

“I’m not mad,” I said, and I really wasn’t.  I just loved the way his tried to make it up to me whenever this happened. 

“Then why are you acting like you are?” he asked.

I shrugged my shoulders and felt his hands on my waist, pulling me toward him.  I was trying to fight a smile and not look at him.  I could tell he knew it, though. He started smiling as his face neared mine again.

“Oh, I get it,” he said. 

“Get what?” I asked innocently.  “There’s nothing to get.”

Sure there isn’t,” he said, pressing his lips to my cheekbone.  “I know what this is.  You just want me to do this…”  He kissed my cheek again.  “And this.”  He started down toward my lips until his lips were hovering just a few millimeters over mine.  “And this.”

He finally kissed me then.  I tried not to move, not let myself feel what was bubbling just below the surface of my skin, but I couldn’t take it anymore. 

Never did I think we would be interrupted by a surprised gasp. 

And especially who it was. 

Standing there, looking at me and Max with wide eyes, was Max’s ex-girlfriend Sophie. 

“Oh, my God, I’m so sorry!” she said, and then caught sight of Max.  “Max?”

“Sophie?” he said.  “What are you doing here?”

He went over to hug her then, but she was staring at me over his shoulder. 

“I’m here with my family,” she said, still looking at me.  “Aren’t you going to introduce me?”

Max turned toward me and held out a hand.  I took it and stepped up beside him.  “Sophie, this is my girlfriend Callie.  Callie, this is Sophie,” he said. 

Sophie was even more beautiful that I remembered.  And even then, I hadn’t gotten a good look at her.  She had that perfect blond hair and blue eyes with a body to match.  I knew I shouldn’t have been thinking it, but how could I ever compare to her?

“Hi,” I said, smiling slightly at her.  “It’s nice to meet you.”

“It’s great to finally meet you, too,” she said, smiling.  “Max has told me so much about you.  And the pictures certainly don’t do you justice.”

“Thank you.”

I looked over at Max then and I knew he knew what I was thinking before.  He looked like he was about to say something, but Sophie spoke then.

“Well, I’m going to have to go back.  My family’s probably wondering where I am,” she said awkwardly, sensing the tension between me and Max.  She looked at me.  “It was wonderful to finally meet you, Callie.  Maybe we’ll see each other again and get to have a longer conversation.”

“It was good to meet you, too,” I said.  

She stood there awkwardly for another second before turning to head back down the hallway.  Once she turned the corner, Max was immediately in front of me.

“Why do you think that?” he asked.

“Why do I think what?”

His eyes narrowed.  “You know exactly what,” he said.  “You were asking yourself how you could ever compare to Sophie.”

I looked down, crossing my arms on my chest.  “No, I wasn’t,” I said.  

I felt Max’s finger lift my chin and made me look at him.  

“What?” I asked.  

“You’re the one I want to be with, okay?” he said quietly.  “You’re incredibly beautiful and smart.  You love your family and would do absolutely anything for them.  You’re crazy at times and so sweet all the rest.”  He smiled slightly.  “And best of all, you’re mine.”

God, how did I get so lucky to have this guy in my life?  

With everything that he just said, how could I not think of him being perfect for me?

And, most importantly, how come I couldn’t tell him I loved him yet?

***I know, I know.  This story is complete crap so far!  It'll get better, though, I promise!  I'm just trying to wrap my head around all I want to do with this.  I'm still trying to plan out everything, hence why I haven't uploaded in a few days.  

And I'm sorry for it being so short right now also.  Whenever I get to a place where I know I'll be able to get a long chapter out, I will!  

I'll more than likely upload on Thursday.  Hopefully I'll have everything set by then!

But still please comment, vote, and like!!!1***