16. It's Like One Of Those Movies Where They're Walking Through A Graveyard...

Chapter 16

It's Like One Of Those Movies Where They're Walking Through A Graveyard...

As the sun began to fall, the mood seemed to change in out hotel room.  Well, at least it did to me.  Ben and Drew were kind of...how could I put it?  Oddly excited.  It was kind of weird if you asked me.  I mean, we were getting ready to dig up a guy who'd been buried for the past fifty-something years.  They should not have been talking about it like this was going to be a piece of cake. 

"Quite worrying, Callie," Ben said, throwing an arm around my shoulders as we sat in the living room.  "We'll be out of there in no time...and with whatever is in his coffin with this Kauffman guy."

I shook my head.  "I still can't believe we're actually doing this.  Do we have everything we need, though?"

Drew nodded, grinning as he nodded toward the door of the room where all of our stuff was.  "We've got three shovels, lights, and four sets of gloves," he said, and then tugged on the collar of his black t-shirt.  "We're all dressed like we're about to rob a bank, so we won't be seen.  Like Ben said, stop worrying.  Everything's going to go smoothly just like most everything else has gone."

I nodded, looking down at my black pants and black tank top.  I'd put a white and gray plaid button up shirt over it so it wouldn't look too suspicious with us all dressed in black. 

"I guess," I said. 

The door to the bedroom that Max was sleeping in opened and he stepped out.  Even though I was supposed to be mad at him, I couldn't help it when my heart started hammering in my chest at the sight of him.  It really didn't help that he still had his shirt in his hand and was bare chested. 

The guys snorted from beside me, like they knew something I didn't. 

"Are we ready?  Do we have everything we're going to need?" Max asked as he walked toward where we were sitting on the couch.  He still hadn't put his shirt on...and I was still looking at his chest.

I swallowed hard, trying to tear my eyes away from him.

"We were just waiting on you," Drew said, slapping his hands on his legs before standing up.  "You're the slow one around here.  You would think it would be Callie, but she's always the first one to be ready."

Max snorted as he put on his shirt.  I mentally sighed, wishing that he hadn't. 

"Let's get this over with," I said, standing up beside Drew.  Ben followed my lead. 

"Why can't we prolong this awesomeness that you know you're going to fin... awesome?" Ben asked, grinning. 

I rolled my eyes.  "Yeah, because I totally want to prolong the moment we're digging up a dead guy.  It'll be the highlight of this entire expedition."

"Damn right it will," Drew said.

Ben and Drew stuck me in the front seat with Max yet again as we drove toward the graveyard where Voss Kauffman was buried.  The sun had just completely set, so I was starting to get that eerie feeling.  Who wouldn't when you were about to go into a graveyard at night and dig up a coffin?

"Can you just imagine it?" Drew said from the backseat.  I could hear a smile in his voice.  "Walking through all of the headstones in pitch blackness.  It's kind of like a horror movie, you know?  Hopefully a hand won't reach out and grab..."

"Stop!" I said, slapping my hands over my ears.  "Don't you dare say what you were about to."

The two of them laughed from the back.  And from the corner of my eye, I saw Max grinning.  I narrowed my eyes and slapped his arm.  The first time I touched him in days and it was to hit him.