6. The Brits Invade Boston...Wearing Aviators Instead Of Red Coats

Chapter 6

The Brits Invade Boston...Wearing Aviators Instead Of Red Coats

We decided to video chat with Ben and Drew to ask them to come to Boston  so they could help us with the expedition.  Max was convinced that it wouldn't take much to make them.

"Seriously, they wouldn't mind at all," he said as we looked through more information in the basement the next morning.  "They wished that they could have come with us on the last one."

"We could send the jet for them," I said, nodding reluctantly.  "I only have one problem."

"What?" he asked, looking like he was about to laugh at whatever it was.

I sighed, shrugging.  "Well, it's just the way they are, you know?"

"And just what would that be?" he asked, laughing. 

I sighed again.  "Are you really going to make me say it?" I asked, and he just continued looking at me.  "Well, they're crazy for one."

Max snorted, nodding in agreement.  "That's true," he said.  "Anything else?"

"Well, would they really be able to help us?  I mean, I know they're your best friends and everything, but they might be more hindering instead of helpful."

Max just smiled at me.

"Do you know just what they majored in when we were at Oxford?" he asked.  "Ben majored in history like I did - he was actually second in the class, right behind me - and Drew double majored in computer and information technology.  Tell me they wouldn't be helpful now that you know that."

Was he serious?  Those two goofy guys that I loved, even though I only personally met them just a few times?  When their images came into my head, I couldn't contemplate those two being as...smart...as Max was telling me they were.  To me, they were just his crazy friends.  I guess I really didn't get to know them on any level that didn't include them having a drink in hand.  It was kind of strange thinking that they could actually be...normal.

Well, normal in a sense. 

"Weird," I said finally.

Max laughed.  "What's weird?"

"That they could actually be that way.  I'm just going to have to see this myself."

"So they're coming with us?"

I nodded.  "Yeah, so let's just get them on board with everything.  They're going to have to come tomorrow if it's good with them."

Max was grinning from ear to ear.  "Great!" he said, and then looked down at his watch.  "They should be up by now actually.  Since London's four hours ahead of Boston, it's around one there."  He shook his head.  "Which reminds me.  Why are we up this early?"

After shutting off everything, we headed back upstairs.  When we passed through the kitchen, Brielle was just starting to make breakfast while Dad was on his laptop.  It was still weird with all of us acting like a normal family instead of being out on an expedition. 

"We're going to try and get Ben and Drew to come with us on the expedition," I said.  "We'll be up in my room for a little while talking to them, okay?"

Brielle nodded, smiling.  "Alright.  Breakfast should be done in a little while since I'm just now starting it.  I'll keep it warm for you if you take longer than it does to make."

Max and I headed up the stair and down the hallway to my room.  Once we were there, I quickly logged onto my computer and brought up the video chat, trying to find either Ben's or Drew's username on my small list of people who were actually online.