Chapter 69: Piper

I gingerly touched the scab on my neck.

I did that a lot, remembering Octavian's knife when it cut me there. I was lucky I got out of that with only a small wound that probably wouldn't scar. Well, physically. It will take me awhile to recover from that event mentally. I don't even want to think about what would have happened to me if Rachel hadn't shown up.

Rachel.

I couldn't even imagine how she felt about this. She spent most of her time in her room with Clove, usually with the door locked.

Seeing as no one could prove that she killed Octavian, she wouldn't have to face any punishment for it. Jason had made sure of that. He blamed assassins, and seeing as he was the king, no one could contradict him. That didn't stop Octavian's parents from coming to the capital, screaming at him for justice.

That was the main reason why Rachel stayed in her room.

After Rachel had untied me and brought me to Jason, he had freaked out. Now, I had a guard follow me wherever I went. With Rachel in her room and Reyna in her's, not that she wanted to be, he was my only company. Well, him and the midwife who followed me everywhere, seeing as I was close to giving birth. She said it would be any minute now. I wished it had already happened. I wanted my child.

I was lying on my bed in the slave's quarters, reading a book. That was when I felt a wetness between my legs, and instantly knew what was happening.

"My water just broke," I told the Midwife.