Chapter 23: Jason

Clink.

It was deathly silent, so when I tapped my finger against my glass, the sound echoed through the room.

Reyna cleared her throat. Then it was silent again.

We were supposed to be talking, getting to know each other better before our wedding in two months. But Reyna was thinking about whatever she was thinking about and I was thinking about Thalia and Piper.

How could my father not tell me she was leaving? She had left last night, and I didn't even get to say goodbye.

And why had it felt so good, so right, when Piper hugged me? She was just a slave!

"So..." Reyna awakened me from my thoughts. "What's your favorite color?"

"Blue," I said. "You?"

"Purple," She replied.

There was another long silence.

"What's your favorite animal?" I asked.

"Eagle," She replied. "You?"

"Same." Another long pause. This must be the most awkward conversation of all time.

Clink, clink, clink.

"What's your favorite weapon?"

I looked up at her, shocked. What kind of lady asks that question?

"Mine's the sword," She said. "You?"

"Same," I replied, still shocked.

There was another long silence, but I spent the entire time staring at her. She took a sip of her water.

"How to you have an opinion on swords?" I asked.

"Because I use one, of course," She replied.

My eyes widened. "That's impossible. Ladies don't know how to use a sword."

"This one does."

My mouth dropped open.

"It was always my dream to be praetor," She said. "That's not going to happen now, of course. But, in certain ways, being queen will give me more power over combat, won't it? After all, as praetor, I'd only control one legion, while as queen, I'd control them all."

"No," I said. "I control the legions."

She smiled at me, her eyes glittering, and took another sip of her water.

It struck me at that moment that Reyna had some sort of goal in mind, something involving the legions. I'd have to watch my step around her.

Just then, a slave boy stepped into the room.

"Your father wants you," He told Reyna.

"Very well," She sighed. "Well, Jason, this was fun. We'll have to do it again sometime."

Then she followed the boy out of the room.

I sat there, stunned. I emptied my wine glass, refilled it, and drank it again.

I had always assumed that my wife would be obedient, with no goal in mind but obeying me. But it was very, very clear now that Reyna was not going to be like that.

I set my glass down and stood up. I had nothing planned for the day. After a couple seconds of thought, I decided to do some sword-fighting.

I walked up to my room. Piper was waiting for me, my armor and sword in hand. I guess she had figured out that I always sparred when I was angry.

She was, without a doubt, the best slave I had ever owned.