Chapter 38: Reyna

My feet pounded on the floor, igniting the deserted hall with sound.

I was going back to my room. I was exhausted, seeing as I had spent the entire day at the Colosseum.

I was also tired from thinking about my to-be husband. I couldn't help but think that there was something going on between him and his slave, Piper. I mean, why else would he spare that gladiator when she asked him too?

Why do you even care? I asked myself. Not only are you not married yet, you don't even have any feelings for him!

I sighed. It was true. I cared for Jason as much as I cared for the marble making up the floor.

Maybe I just want a faithful husband, I thought bitterly.

That's when I heard the voices.

"Are you sure?" A man whispered.

"Positive," Another one replied. "This is his room."

I located their voices. They were coming from the hall that Jason's room was in.

Why would two men be whispering outside Jason's room? As far as I knew, Jason was still downstairs, and he never let anyone into his room if he wasn't in there.

The answer clicked in my head a few seconds later.

Assasins.

I instinctively reached for my sword, but of course, it wasn't there. It was in my room, hidden under some floorboards I had ripped up.

So, what should I do? I couldn't let Jason die, because if he did, I wouldn't become queen. Well, I might, but then I'd have to marry Octavian. And I'd rather have sex with a snake then do that.

My best guess was that they were going to wait for Jason to come back to his room, and then kill him. So there was a chance that I could warn Jason about them before he went in his room.

But what if he didn't listen to me? Or if the assassins heard, and killed both of us?

No, my best bet was to face them barehanded. I had sparred with Hylla multiple times, so I had some experience in hand-to-hand combat. I'd just have to use the element of surprise to take one of their weapons, and then stab them with it.

It's worth a shot, I thought.

"May I ask what you're doing outside my fiancé's room?" I asked, stepping into the hall.

The men whipped around to face me. Their faces were covered in pillow cases that had holes cut in them.

"Who are you?" One of them asked.

"Lady Reyna," The other one said. 

"You should leave, M'lady," The first one said. "If you know what's good for you."

"Oh, I do know what's good for me," I said. "And I know that letting my promise to the throne escape because my fiancé was killed isn't."

They narrowed their eyes at me. I noticed that one of them didn't have a hole in their pillow case for their left eye.

"If you want to live, M'lady, I suggest you go," One-eye said. "Now."

That's when I attacked.

I punched one-eye in the face, and then kicked the other one in the balls. Then I grabbed Two-eye's knife and slit his throat.

One-eye stared at me in shock. I dropped Two-eye's corpse, twirled the knife in my fingers, and pointed it at him.

"I'll give you ten seconds," I said. "And just so you know, I have very good aim."

One-eye thought for a couple of seconds, and then took off down the hall.

Smart boy, I thought.

I glanced down at my toga, which was covered in Two-eyes blood.

I sighed and started walking back to my room, wondering how I would explain the bloodstains to Leila, my handmaiden. I knew that she had found my sword, and was spying on me for my father.

Maybe I'll just throw my clothes out the window, I thought.

Okay guys, I've decided to update twice daily. Thanks for reading!