Chapter 8 ( Day 6 - Do You Still Love Him? )

8640

Chanyeol looked at his phone and saw Kyungsoo’s text messages. He answered them briefly and curtly before turning his cellphone off again. When he went to the kitchen, he found Luna alone, which was what he needed. Tapping her on the shoulder, Chanyeol stepped back instinctively when she turned around with a knife in her hand.

“Oh,” she said. “Hi, Chanyeol.”

“Hi.” Chanyeol fixed his posture for a second and fixed his shirt, which he was pretty sure was from his college days. “I wanted to ask you for a favor.”

Luna looked at him. “What kind of favor?” she asked, cautiously.

“Can you make Baekhyun’s favorite food tonight? And do you have any wine?” he asked.

“Wine…”

“To accompany the dinner,” he justified.

“I think Baekhyun would be better off with water, Chanyeol…” Luna mumbled.

Chanyeol was taken aback for a moment, but then he nodded understandingly. “Alright. No wine. But can you make the food?”

Setting the knife down on the counter, Luna crossed her arms. “What’re you trying to do?”

“I’m trying to give him a nice dinner.”

“Why?”

“It’s my last night here.”

With thin lips, Luna sighed. “Chanyeol, don’t. You’re not doing anything good for him by doing this. You know that this is only going to hurt him right? You’re going the extra mile for him for one night, but you’re leaving him the next day. I know you’re just being nice, but this is really cruel.”

Chanyeol’s jaw locked. He didn’t know what to say. “But I want to do this. Not to hurt him, but rather, to make up for everything.”

“What’s there to make up for when all you’re going to do is leave him for another person the next day?”

Taking a step back, Chanyeol felt a panging in his chest. It was true. It was the cold hearted truth. Tomorrow he was going to leave the house with those signed papers, never to look back. He’d be leaving Baekhyun behind with nothing, but the house and some money. It felt horrible because for the last few days, he had been escaping the reality. Now, the night before he had to leave, Chanyeol didn’t know how to deal with it anymore.

Swallowing, Chanyeol tried. “Luna, it’s for one night. Please.”

Luna stared hard at him before turning back. “Fine.”

Chanyeol wanted to sigh in relief. “Thank you.”

After a few seconds, Luna asked, “Do you still love him?”

“What kind of question is that?” Chanyeol muttered, unsure of the answer.

“It’s a reasonable question.”

Thinking, Chanyeol realized that he didn’t know. He felt conflicted. The word “home” no longer had a definite meaning. The days he spent in the house felt warmer to him than the apartment that he had been living in for years. Baekhyun’s laugh seemed to soak him pleasantly in its sound whereas Kyungsoo’s laugh seemed like a mere replica that tried to affect him the same way Baekhyun’s did. His eyes were more tired than Chanyeol had ever seen them, but in the recent days, despite how faded Baekhyun’s eyes had gotten, Chanyeol could see the fire that was once there.

There should have been no hesitation for his heart knew the answer, but his head—the master of all his thoughts and actions—intercepted the confident answer from his heart and distorted it, leaving Chanyeol speechless and confused. His heart said yes, but his head flashed him the image of Kyungsoo.

After waiting for minutes and still not getting an answer, Luna shrugged it off. “Never mind that I asked. I’ll cook for you tonight. Make him happy, even if it’s just for the night.”

A few candles lit the room. Dimmed lights set the mood. The food was set on their plates.

When Baekhyun walked in, he bit his lips so hard, he thought he’d bleed. He wanted to back out and run away because it didn’t seem real, but when he felt Chanyeol’s chest against his back and his hands on his shoulders encouraging him to move forward, Baekhyun had no choice, but to comply.

After they sat down, they began to eat. They didn’t speak for the first few minutes, but gradually the conversation moved. It lightened even more when Baekhyun grinned and commented on their appearance. Chanyeol was wearing a plain shirt and shorts. Baekhyun wore a t-shirt and pajama pants. Neither of which was proper attire for what was supposed to be a romantic dinner date.

And once they were all done, Baekhyun rose from the table after thanking Chanyeol. He planned on heading off to wash his hands, but when he rose, Chanyeol rose faster than he and walked over to him, pulling him up. He led Baekhyun to the living room, which was just as dimmed and filled with the small flares from the scented candles as the dining room.

Then he took the music player’s remote and hit play, initiating a flow of slow music out of the speakers. At this point, Baekhyun was shaking. It was too much for him to bear. He wanted to drop down to the floor, but Chanyeol’s arm wrapped around his waist kept him up. With his other hand, Chanyeol took Baekhyun’s right and intertwined them as they began to sway from side to side.

It was a sweet moment, but for Baekhyun, it also brought him pain. And even though Chanyeol rested his cheek against the top of Baekhyun’s head, and even though he kept them swaying to the soothe sound from the speakers; he could hear Baekhyun crying against him.

As Chanyeol’s grip on the smaller male against him, he clenched his eyes and bit his lips. He tried to ignore the dryness of his throat and fought the heavy urge to silently cry as well.