Chapter 3 ( Day 1 - I'm Still Inlove With You )

________________________________________

1440

It felt odd being in the house again, but even more, sleeping in a different room other than the one he shared with Baekhyun—or used to. As he lied in his bed that first night, he contemplated his situation. He felt like if God had decided to smite him right then and there, he would have deserved it for doing what he was doing. It still didn’t sit well with him to know that after months of barely any contact, he finally contacted Baekhyun only to break his news of wanting a divorce. But in the end, in his mind, it was inevitable. They weren’t functioning together anymore. Chanyeol moved one way. Baekhyun moved the other.

He turned his head to the right and looked out the window. And as he took notice of the bright stars up in the sky, Chanyeol wondered what else living in the city had prevented him from ever seeing.

________________________________________

One of Chanyeol’s concerns were clothes; he hadn’t brought any seeing as how he wasn’t planning on sticking around for more than a few hours. When he told Baekhyun of this dilemma, Baekhyun smiled and told him not to worry about it. As the time came around to retire for the night, he had taken Chanyeol to a guest room near what was once their bedroom. Baekhyun left for a moment, but came back a little while later with three shirts in his arms while Luna, who was following closely behind him, had plenty more including pajama pants, shorts, boxers, and more t-shirts.

“I couldn’t carry them all,” Baekhyun had explained. “They're too heavy for me.”

Chanyeol then looked at the small pile that Baekhyun and Luna had carried in and set on his bed. “They don’t look that heavy.”

“They weigh like a ton to me,” Baekhyun said quietly.

When Baekhyun left after Luna, bidding Chanyeol good-night, he recited a sequence of numbers before leaving. Unable to understand the binary, Chanyeol moved on. But the more he stood there alone in his room, the more a certain curiosity ate at him as his eyes drifted back to the stack. Then he moved over to the bed, gathered everything and lifted it up.

It wasn’t heavy.

________________________________________

Despite the circumstances of his situation and the angry text messages he received from Kyungsoo the night before, Chanyeol woke up with a peaceful calm. He couldn’t figure out why that was. Maybe it was because he wasn’t in the city and, for once, had sleep that didn’t involve the background noises of sirens and cars. Or maybe it was the house itself. Baekhyun didn’t miss a detail in making every room in the house comfortable and warm.

He took a quick shower and slipped into the clothes that Baekhyun had lent to him. It wasn’t until he looked in the mirror that he saw his appearance and realized something: Baekhyun had given him the clothes he had left behind.

Bitterness washed over him. He didn’t know whether Baekhyun had done it on purpose, which Chanyeol knew he probably didn’t. There were questions in his mind as to why Baekhyun still had them. They were old. He hadn’t worn them in years. He left them in behind.

Why hadn’t Baekhyun gotten rid of them?

The more he looked in the mirror, the more Chanyeol realized he looked the way he used to be. It was funny how a few old clothes and no hair products made him look the way he was two to three years ago. But that was contrary to how he felt. It wasn’t funny. It was bitter and it burned something inside of him. Maybe it was guilt. Chanyeol didn’t know. He just wanted to get through six more days and go home.

________________________________________

Chanyeol was distant. He didn’t know how to act, despite the fact that Baekhyun had only requested for him to pretend. How do you act to pretend? It was a cycle that had no answers.