Nothing But A Servant

I woke up to a knock on my door. It wasn't a furious "Get-up-now!" knock, but more of a gentle "It's- time-to-get-up," knock. I really didn't want to get up. My pillow was so soft and my blanket was so comforting, I was good right where I was. I considered yelling back, "Not interested. I'll stay here," but decided not to. It took a second for me to realize I wasn't in my own bed, at my own house, but my pillow being black reminded me. I wished it had all been a dream, but sadly, it was cruel, twisted reality.

The door slid open and Lance walked in. The open door shot brightness, however little, into my room and I proceeded to hide my head under my pillow. I was starting to like the black pillow; it made everything dark underneath it. I liked the non-blinding darkness. Realizing Lance had to be at my door and I probably looked really stupid, I looked towards the door, peering through one squinting eye.

He looked the same, but I couldn't help but smell an astoundingly strong smell of strawberries, but it was not like he just ate them. The smell seemed to fill the room, slowly embracing my nose, and then flooding it. It was more like he had strawberry body wash and shampoo. But I couldn't believe how strong the smell was, my god. I hoped my body wash or shampoo never smelled like that, although I liked the smell. I just didn't like how strong it was. It did fit him though.

He was carrying a pile of clothes that gave me a saddening hunch knowing they were for me. He looked super excited for the day and he was obviously a morning person. I never understood morning people. The morning is made for sleeping. Not enthusiastically jumping around and just being a morning person. That was what the night was for.

"Good morning," he said cheerfully. He had a huge, adorable smile on his face, with dimples in the center of his rosy cheeks. It was adorable how enthusiastic he was, although I still though he should save it for the night. The night just always fit energy better for me.

"Good morning. Is that for me?" I asked yawning while rubbing my eyes. Typically when I wake up, I look like crap, and that day just happened to be a typical morning. Here I was being woken up by this beautiful boy and I looked like an ogre getting out of bed. I was kind of embarrassed to say the least. My eyes always had sand in the corners and my hair was always a mess. I usually felt really greasy and I felt like I needed a shower. Waking up just felt gross to me.

His black hair was reflecting the candle light, and his narrow face was basking in its own beauty as he smiled. He wasn't that tall, maybe five foot seven, but he had such a presence; he might as well have been seven foot. He had an aura of happiness that spread to everything and everyone, or at least me, when he was near. Every time I had been near him, I had a fuzzy feeling in my stomach. I liked being around him. I sat up in bed, still in just boxers and an undershirt, but I carefully held the blanket over myself. I was always sort of self-conscious.

"Yes, Madam Amelia told me to give you these," he said as he handed me the clothes, which was a butler suit identical to his. Closing the door behind him, he sat on my bed next to me. He of course sat on the side of me that allowed him to slightly see beneath the blanket. However, I made sure to pull more of the blanket over me, fixing the problem.

"I'll wait here while you go get dressed. Then I'll show you our chores. Madam Amelia has assigned me to you. If you need anything, let me know." Oh great, I had to get up and he had the perfect view to watch and see all of my imperfections. I knew he wouldn't leave even if I asked, considering Grandmama wouldn't let him, so I just counted to three and stood up. Crossing my arms in front of my chest, I walked towards the bathroom.

"Okay," I said, closing the bathroom door. I stretched my arms above my head sense I was out of sight. Seeing as he was perfect in every way I wasn't, I felt even more self-conscious in front of him.