Chapter 15

When Eve arrived home, it surprised her to see Galahad alone in the foyer. With a slight worry, she used a house scan and asked for Summerset.

"Summerset is in the library, Darling Eve. Would you like to view it on-screen?"

"Nevermind.", she scowled. "Is Roarke here?"

“Roarke is in the library, Darling Eve.”

She went there and saw the two men sharing a glass of whiskey, and from the looks of it, they were discussing a very serious topic. Roarke sensed her before she could enter the room.

"You're quite early.", he greeted with a smile.

“Need to shuffle some things in my head using a decent computer.”, she said, pecking him a kiss. “I have no idea we’re celebrating the scarecrow’s resignation. Golly, I should’ve brought some poppers and balloons to go with the mood.”

Summerset stood up and replied, “I don’t think that will happen in my lifetime, Lieutenant. Now Roarke, I think I need to retire myself so that both of you can do your respective tasks tonight.”

It was usual for Summerset to spat on Eve’s sarcasms, but it was unusual for him to say it in an affectionate tone that she’s starting to doubt if she’s hallucinating or not. She was a trained officer who could see sarcasms, and definitely sure she’s not hallucinating, but for him to be kind to her was something that should not exist in a Book according to Eve.

Damned if he gave a slight bow and left silently.

“Is he drunk?”, she gaped that Roarke had to laugh at her horrified expression.

“He’s fine, Darling. He could walk straight and in his perfect senses. We barely finished a bottle here.”

“Barely finished a bottle after how many…?”

“Come sit here.”, he chuckled as he pulled her to his lap. “You’re so irresistible and sexy tonight, Agrah.”

“You’re drunk Pal.”, she scowled.

“I’m not. Irish never get drunk.”, he murmured on her neck. “Why don’t you and I stay here and let’s discuss your case today?”

“What did you and Summerset discussed about?”

There’s no need for him to dodge the question, or even point the obvious. He married a well-trained cop, one that knows everything about him. And his silence verified it all.

“You told him.”

“I have to.”, he answered. “And you know that Summerset was the one who introduced me to Don Miguel. But there’s something you need to know about Summerset, and our connection to you.”

She tensed suddenly that he had to ease his hands on her arms. “What are you saying? What do you mean connection? Me and that zombie? In the past?”

He sighed. "Summerset, or Basil that time, was doing some petty things for Don Miguel. Underground information I must say, something that was less hazardous compare to my dealings. Marlena was still alive during that time."

She was silent as Roarke explained everything.

"One day, Don Miguel summoned him to look for an LC named Samantha, mentioning that she's staying somewhere in Dublin using a name Sophia. No child was mentioned yet, so Basil assumed that the illegitimate child rumours were not true. Besides, it's a normal thing for mafia not to elaborate the reason whenever they commanded a man-hunt."