Chapter 2

“What's special with this Don Miguel that you couldn't decline his invitation?”, Eve asked as she clipped a dangling diamonds on her ear.

Roarke cuffed his tux, and slapped a matched wrist unit. “During my misspent youth, the times when I was starting to divulge myself in the corporate world, he was my tight competitor in Italian region. It's his turf anyways, he's the Big Boss, so why clash against him if you could befriended him?”

“He's a mafia.”, she stated.

“Oh yes, and quite a tight-ass, but I learned a lot from him, especially the names of some bambinas.”

“Smart-ass.”, she scoffed. “But I don't think the two of you ended with a truce.”

“We ended a truce.”, he defended, “After I declined his offer to join the brotherhood and snagging his Colombian deal, nobody shed a blood.”

“Not safe.”

He chuckled, “Darling, we'll only have some good time there - eating, drinking and talking.”

“You do the talking, and I'll do the eating and drinking.”, she said, slipping an ankle-breaker.

“Don't eat my pizza share.”, he teased.

After a limo ride, they took a private jetplane. She just finished her recent case so her mind's not preoccupied. She was even grateful when the stewardess offered her some coffee.

Eve looked at her well-relaxed husband taking a sip of his brandy. A Dublin's street-rat who rose into the corporate ladder of business, she's fully aware about his criminal past. Even though she’s convinced that he already abandoned that lifestyle, she still felt uneasy meeting his old acquaintances.

It was a short ride, and when the pilot announced of their approach at the private island, the landing was quite smooth. A chaperone in dark suit was already waiting for them.

"Long time no see, Roarke.", the chaperone greeted. Then the two shook hands.

"Same to you, Ramon. By the way, meet my wife, Lieutenant Eve Dallas."

He has a nice built body and tiger-like eyes, which was a common characteristic of a cop, but his ambiance smells mafia.

"I know her, my daughter was her great fan.", Ramon said. "Can you sign an autograph for me? I'll consider it as a great debt to you."

"I – I Iwill.", she replied with resignation.

A dark limo was prepared and Ramon drove them to the said destination. It was akin to their home - a large fortress but with a wide bungalow and column stones, giving an ambiance of a mixed European culture.

The party was filled with high-profiled visitors; some Eve already met in other social functions. And just like what Roarke had said, all of servings were authentic Italian food.

"Not bad eating a slice of pizza here.", she muttered that only Roarke could hear.

Half an hour of talking, eating and drinking, the host arrived.

Don Miguel was a very sturdy man in his sixties. His silver hair was trimmed neatly which blended well to his flat, gray eyes. He has a strong jawline and a dent on his chin that added his superior complex. When he entered the venue, all eyes stared at him, immediately owning the spotlight.

A few greetings and kisses, the Don went to Roarke.

“Welcome again to my place, il mio amico.”

“You’re still the same as usual, Don Miguel. Never changed as the time goes.”, Roarke replied as the two embraced and shook hands.

“Not the same, my boy.”, the Don said, tapping his thigh, “My knees were not strong enough like before.”