Chapter 12

"How about a second opinion? My R&Ds were developing various hospital equipments and applying some highly advanced medical treatments for cases like yours.", Roarke suggested. "Or if you want, I can refer you to one of the best cardio specialists in the world."

"No need, Roarke. Several doctors offered me some alternate solutions, but I decided not to undergo surgeries anymore.", Don Miguel replied.

“Even though I have a congenital heart disease, got few bypass surgeries, and then nurtured in a mafia world wherein killings and criminal activities were norms, I’m lucky I survived this far. But what happened three years ago changed my views, and that accident - or should I say, a murder attempt – had me thinking; what would be the first thing that I will regret of not doing if I die? The answer? Her."

Don tapped a finger on his cane’s sculpted handle. "I was comatosed for a month, and almost fell into half paralysis. And even though that’s not the first time I escaped death, the situation was an eye opener – that no matter how rich and successful a person was, without a thing called 'family', he's nothing."

Roarke sensed Eve's hand linked to his, feeling her golden band on his skin.

He clasped her firmly.

Eve was Roarke’s first family, and she to him. And despite the careers and friends they have, both lived an empty life before they found each other.

That’s why it was easy for them to empathize Don Miguel.

“I have several cousins and distant relative. I built a strong clan, a famiglia that’s willing to die for my sake. They have showed me an overwhelming love that’s been denied to me since childhood, yet still, I feel empty.”

There were gleaming tears on the Don’s eyes. “That’s why I wanted to see her. Not only because I have some health complications, but because after all these years, I still loved her.”

Eve wanted to say something but interrupted when her communicator beeped. It was Peabody.

“I guess my one-hour lunch date with you is over.”, Don Miguel chuckled, dabbing a tissue on his eye. He raised his hand for the bill. “Don’t even attempt to refund me, Roarke. I promised the Lieutenant that this will be my treat.”

“Of course.”, Roarke sighed.

“Don Miguel.”, Eve suddenly spoke. She wanted to reach his hand and touch him, but stopped herself. Instead she clenched her now-muted communicator. “If ever we found her, and you realized she’s not what you expected her to be, that she’s fucked-up and damaged – will you still accept her?”

“What kind of assumption is that, Lieutenant?”

Roarke wanted to say it, but the Don beat him first.

“She’s mine – no matter what.”, the Don answered with a smile. “You may not believe this, but this is my first time sharing a personal information to a cop, even asking some help to a cop. We live to bend the laws, Lieutenant, but instead of having an awkward feeling towards this conversation, I feel relaxed. It’s weird.”

“Same goes to me, Don Miguel. Hearing a confession from a mafia boss.”, she grinned.

When she got up, Ramon walked towards them and bowed like a thank you gesture. She and Roarke was about to leave the table when the Don called her name.

“Eve, if ever you found her, and if she realized how bad I was leaving her with that woman, after learning about my murky life, will she ever forgive me?”