Chapter Six: Confusion

CHAPTER SIX: CONFUSION

"Volturi?" I asked, irritation rising in my voice. "Who are the Volturi? Just because I'm a werewolf doesn't mean I'm stupid!" I added after the Cullen's hesitation. I put my hands on my hips. "I can keep a secret too."

Edward sighed and threw his hands up in what seemed like defeat. "Just tell her already." he put his head in his hands and added, "It's her dad anyways."

Carlisle stood up slowly. "The Volturi are a vampire coven in Europe. They practically 'rule' the vampire world. They enforce the rules." He paused, a quizzical look on his face. "The reason they took your father is a complete mystery."

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Alice's face freeze up and her eyes go blank. Both Edward and Carlisle rushed to her. "What are you seeing?" Eward hissed sternly.

Alice's voice sounded vacant, though she spoke with meaning. "Ayesha's dad ... he's ... trapped."

At the word 'trapped' I took a step closer to Alice. "Where is he trapped?" I asked. My voice began to rise in hysteria. "I am going to kill whoever took my father! I'll rip their throats out!"

In seconds Carlisle had his hands on my shoulders and was pushing me down on to a couch. "You need to compose yourself, Ayesha," he told me. He didn't even have to turn to Edward to tell him, "Go get her a glass of water. Now."

Alice jumped up from the stool she had been sitting on and murmured in Carlisle's ear. I couldn't make out a word she was saying. She was talking so quickly. If her voice was visible, it would be a blur.

A shadow of dispair flashed across Carlisle's face. "I'm sorry Ayesha," he said. "You're not going to be able to go to Italy to save your dad." In his next sentence he tried to be slightly humourful. "Or they might rip your throat out."

"Don't worry though," Alice said softly, "he'll be back in no time. We'll have him here for you in less than two weeks." She forced a smile and I could tell that whatever she 'saw' wasn't pretty.

I let out a sigh. "Thanks Alice," I replied. I saw Edward smirk. "Excuse me," I said to Alice.

I walked over to Edward who handed me my water. I sipped some of it before talking. "So what's with you Vampire Boy? How do you know what I'm thinking? Can you read minds or something?" My words were meant to be intimidating but in all reality, I was actually scared of what he could hear going on in my mind.

His lips turned up at my question. Was it from my thoughts too? Or was he ignoring those. "If you wish to know, yes I do 'read minds.' But don't think it's a walk in the park. It's a curse."

I almost laughed. "Curse? How can being able to read people's freaking minds be a curse?" Even I realised I was being slightly oblivious to the obvious; and I don't even usually care about that kind of stuff.

Edward sighed and shook his head slowly. "It's not as easy as you think. People's thoughts they--they bombard my mind. I can't really tune them out. They're always there. Some peoples thoughts are just so disturbing that I leave wherever I am to get rid of the noises."

"I feel ya Vamp. In a way I guess," I said slowly. "Okay never mind, I totally don't. But it makes sense at least. If I look at it from your ... opinion."

He laughed lightly. He opened his mouth to say more but Carlisle cut him off. "Edward," he said, beckoning him over with the slightest movement of his hand.

Edward walked over and Carlisle said something so quickly I could only catch certain words from both mouths. "Protect her .... Can't come .... Recklessness .... Out of hand .... Careful."

Edward came back, his lips pulled together tightly. All he did was send a glance at me before shoving past me. "And I thought you were well-mannered," I muttered as he bumped into me without saying anything.

He froze in mid-step. "You know what I just--" he stopped when he looked up at Carlisle and whirled around and marched out the door.

I whistled. "What's up with him?" I asked Carlisle.

Carlisle adverted my gaze and acted as if I didn't say anything. By what I can tell, not like him. I walked up and put my face right in front of his. "Carlisle!" I started to clap which I could tell was bothering him. "Wake up Carlisle!"

He grabbed my hands together so that I stopped clapping. "Edward just went out to ... hunt."

I winced at the word 'hunt.' It must really suck not being able to have real food to eat but having to hunt animals to eat blood. "Where did he really go?" I asked, realizing he may be lying. Again, not like Carlisle.

"Edward went out to hunt," he repeated through gritted teeth. "Fine, he needs to protect you because you can't be ... trusted."

Oh great, I thought, Edward: Protecting me.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading! :) Please vote, comment and fan! I would really appreciate it. Sorry it's so short. Next chapter will be longer, don't worry.

 Carlisle to the right! --------------------------->