seven: the talk

"Son, what are you doing here this early?" My father's sleepy voice asked from behind me.

I turned around, facing him. "I - a friend is outside. She needs some help," I said. "Aren't you supposed to be at bed, too, dad?"

Ignoring the latter, he said, "She?" His eyebrows propped up in what seemed like surprise for a second before his eyes narrowed at me. "A friend? Or a girlfriend? Son, it's okay if you already have one and you guys wanna do it. But, just don't do it here. Well, if your mom and I - "

"Dad, dad, look, she's just a friend. Nothing more. Like Bree. Friends. Nothing more," I rambled on, reassuring my dad.

He visibly calmed after hearing this if the way his shoulders relaxed from the stiff position it was in seconds ago or the way he sighed loudly was any indication. Did he really think I'd want to do it at freaking three am? Not that I would really want to do it any time soon but, still. And with Kyle Riley? Is my father serious?

"Good, good. Well, I'll go back upstairs," he said, turning to head for the stairs.

What the hell?

Pushing the thought off of my head, I continued to make my way towards the door. When I opened it, I spotted Kyle sitting on the porch steps, lost in thought. So instead of bothering her, I slid down beside her quietly.

"All right?" I asked, my voice merely above a whisper but I'm sure she heard it.

She stayed silent, gaze distant. When I was beginning to think that she didn't really heard me, she shook her head. "Not everyone is alright. Even when they say they are," her voice mirrored mine.

vote, comment, follow and share if you feel the need to do so