+++ 05 - WHISKED AWAY +++

VITTORIA

The beauty of Perissa is equivalent to Akrotiri although the color of the beach sands are different. If you get an aerial view, the black sands here appears to be a magnificent contrast to the turquoise sea. It’s like a yin and yang of nature. Truly amazing!

We parked at one of the restaurants near the beach. Lucas offered his hand as support for me not to trip on the cool sand since I removed my flats wanting to feel the grains on my feet. I smiled at his gesture and took his hand. We walked the shoreline while talking about simple things. He is quite a charming speaker and thoughtful listener.

My first impression of him changed upon learning his true personality. He might have left out some events in his life but it didn’t bother me. He has the right to keep secrets. I should know. I have skeletons in my cupboard too.

When we got tired of walking, we decided to have breakfast at a small restaurant near the end of the shore. We settled in a secluded outdoor table and ordered our meal. We continued our conversation while waiting for our food.

I learned that he is 4 years older than me and had finished his degree. Like what Giovanni mentioned earlier, he told me that he was away since he was 18 and decided to come back after 4 years. His family lives in Athens and he went to Santorini for a break. He has a passion for water sports and sometimes visit Hawaii for the annual watersports event held there. He also boasted that he is a good cook and specializes in Greek cuisine.

Well, of course, he’s Greek.

He also knows his cars and had at least a red Ferrari, a dark blue MAVA-Renault and an off-white Scavas minus his McLaren. His family is wealthy and owns some of the businesses around Greece, mostly in Athens.

I just realized that I should have caught on that when he said his last name but then again, I was too preoccupied with my annoyance at him that I overlooked it.

From what I have read and heard, the Karadja family is well-known in Greece owning most of the businesses and trades around the country. My brother tried to buy one of their lands however they didn’t agree to the proposal he offered. They are a close-knit family and preferred to run the business from within.

I told him a few things about me as well but forego some of the guarded details of my life. Knowing his family, I didn’t told him who my brother is although I said I have one who is already married.

“So you have a married brother and your house is on the richer side of this island. Tell me Vittoria, who are you really?” He nudged me a little trying to make me tell him my real identity.

“You’re a curious little George, aren’t you?” I replied not bothering to answer his query.

“I am. Definitely. And especially about you.”

“I’m flattered that you like to know more about me but believe me, you wouldn’t want to.” I said with warning. My brother is quite an overprotective man. He said he doesn’t want me mingling with other men not worthy of me. He checks their backgrounds and has tried to coerce them in more ways than one. He told me once that if a weak-willed man cannot handle a woman because of her family, he is not worthy of a queen. My standards rose after that. It won’t go down any time soon.

“I’m still interested in knowing you more. Why don’t you try me?” Lucas nominated himself.

I laughed at his overconfidence. “I’ll think about it.”

After a while, he suddenly asked. “So are you a coffee or tea girl?”

“Coffee.” I answered curious what’s with the question.