nine

"I just ruined whatever bond I had left with her," the Original ran a hand over his face

"It's okay, Elijah," Klaus spoke up, placing a hand on his brother's shoulder. "I can try to talk to her if you'd like."

Elijah nodded yes, giving him a grateful half smile as Klaus headed upstairs to console his niece.

His hand formed a fist as he knocked on her wooden bedroom door a few times. He didn't receive an answer, however, he could hear her music playing from within so he knew she was in there.

"Lana, sweetheart, it's Klaus. Open the door."

A few seconds passed before the door swung open revealing an upset teenager. Her hair had been pulled back into a ponytail, and her mascara was smudged under her bright eyes.

Klaus stepped over the threshold and followed her over to the bed where she sat back down with her legs pulled to her chest.

"What happened?" He asked even though he already knew the answer.

"We got into an argument about a boy. He says I can't date but I don't think he should have the kind of control over my life," Alana swiped her thin fingers under her eyes to wipe away the mascara. "I mean, he hardly even acts like a father, you know?"

"I know it doesn't seem like it, but he is trying." The hybrid placed a hand on top of hers. "We didn't have a very good father, so your dad doesn't really have much to learn from. But if one thing is for sure it's that he is trying his very best, because he loves you."

"He didn't even know I existed a few months ago."

"You're right, he didn't. But he is a big believer in family above all," Klaus tucked some of her loose hair behind her ear. "And he knew from the moment he met you, that you were family. It's why he didn't bother with the DNA test. He would sooner die than see you get hurt, that's why he doesn't want you to date."

Alana let out a soft sigh, playing with the silver star pendant that hung from her neck. Her ocean eyes were glazed over as she thought about what she should do.

"I'm not going to stop seeing Kyle," she shrugged after a long moment of silence between them. "But I guess I can start making an effort to bond with Elijah as well."

"Just, promise me you'll cut him some slack, okay?" His dimples began to show as he smile a little.

Alana rolled her bright blue eyes with a small smile, "I promise."

"Good. Now, this boy," Klaus pointed a finger towards her, a small smirk on his lips, "if he hurts you, tell me and I will make him feel unspeakable pain."

"I'm not sure that's going to be necessary," the teenager let out a giggle at her uncles antics. "Maybe if that happens Elijah should take care of it."